Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can has teh interwebnetz?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: I can has teh interwebnetz?

And the PCB is done!

I picked up a cheap set of Tungsten drill bits at Harbor Freight and got to work.

I used a block of wood to drill into as the hole in my drill press is way too big just to set this small board over it. I selected the bits based on what fit into an empty PCB I had laying around that has similar components.

After some patience and a few bit swaps for different sized holes, I got it all drilled out. I had a problem with the smallest bit, it seems either I was drilling with too slow of a speed or too fast through the PCB, as it chipped the backside. Not a huge deal as the components will be covering the majority of it anyhow.

Next it was off to the scroll saw to clean up the PCB. I just cut along the copper box that the .pdf file left, then sanded the edges down smooth and clean.

Next step was to place all the components and bend their leads in preparation for soldering.

After I soldered the components and clipped their leads I tinned all the traces. This keeps the exposed copper from oxidizing.

And the completed board!

I'm happy to report that I plugged it in with a 9v wall wort and the servo shown in the picture, and it works 100%

Now all that's left is to fab up the mounting system and calibrate the servo, and she's done!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Wonder what Verizon'll think when they see this rig-up???
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Well if we weren't "renting" the modem from them I'd tear it open and wire it directly to the LED and a relay for the power source, and it'd be all enclosed and stealthy

But seeing how if we ever terminate our service (read - move to cable) with them we need to send it back or they charge us, I'll go this route lol

The servo is cool but seems like you could have just used a relay to power it off and back on?

Either way... I am looking forward to seeing it in action.

I'm guessing that it was a case of this is what he had on hand so could just build it.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    The servo is cool but seems like you could have just used a relay to power it off and back on?

Either way... I am looking forward to seeing it in action.
    Well I didn't want to open it up, and the servo was more fun

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    I'm guessing that it was a case of this is what he had on hand so could just build it.
    This is true as well, although I have several small 5v and 12v relays, but again, it would have required me opening it up, or finding an exact match for the power jack they used on it

The best way to do power cut off without modifying the wall-wart or the modem itself is making a PCB which has the relay with the ground connected through it, so the wall-wart plugs into the PCB and the PCB has a lead which plugs into the modem.
    Some callipers would quickly turn this into a problem of where to get the plug and connectors!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Awesome job! +rep

If you used a relay you could just cut the 110V like a light switch does. Just take an old extension cord and and put the relay in the middle. That way you wouldn't have to modify the modem or wall wart at all.

But it is true, the servo will look much cooler.

well the modem itself uses a wall wart, just not sure what size. The standard ones you can buy are usually 2.5mm, this one's a lot smaller. Ah well, the board is made maybe down the road I'll look at doing it the other way