Thread: How to make this run this?

Default How to make this run this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RGB-LED-Strip-5M...item3cb80a5e93 <-- This is my proposed lighting source. Strips of RGB LEDs in a "cut every three" configuration on a tape that will dissipate what little heat they produce. Waterproof isn't the issue here, just happened to be on here. Is there a way to make this LED strip (possibly cut into threes) into an array that can be driven by an Arduino? Would I need to solder lines to some kind of breadboard or what?

It needs in the end to be able to be a programmable X by X RGB array (like a graphic LCD) so it would be compatible with Arduino aquarium lighting software-it's for a fish tank lighting hood. I think it's a little easier than trying to wire up Luxeons to buckpucks. If it's not (this is for a small tank) can someone point me in a better direction?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Default Re: How to make this run this?

This is a case of you can't actually address each individual LED from what I can see, so you can't use it like an LED matrix, from my understanding of the eBay page, to drive those you need 3 PWM pins per strip, a positive power source and a MOSFET for every colour.

SXRguyinMA can help more, since he's using serially addressed RGB LED strips in his project.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

So would some of the 8x8 arrays on Ebay work? And exactly how bright are they?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Probably the 8x8 arrays would work, as for how bright, it depends, they might just be bright enough to show up in daylight. If you can buy a bulk pack of RGB LEDs, you might be able to achieve something similar depending on how fast you need to drive them.

4 legs, common anode, right? I'm seeing plenty of bulk packs out there, but most are "slow flash" and I don't think they're what I want.

Maybe I need to post my code and you guys tell me what LEDs I need.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

the 5mm RGB ones I got were from www.ledshoppe.com. There are common anode AND common cathode versions, so make sure you get the ones you need. The ones I use are all common anode, as the LED Rainbow kit I have it set up to be used in that fashion

Found 3 SMD strips and a controller that can handle them pretty easily. It'll piggyback on over my sensor shield, so I'll have enough capacity to run 48w of LEDs in any pattern I need.

Now to find the right software...

Just need to find someone nice to help you develop the software!