Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Avoid Purchasing a New Copy of Windows 7?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default How Can I Avoid Purchasing a New Copy of Windows 7?

When I built my current computer, I purchased the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) version of Windows 7 64-bit home edition, as it was less expensive than the full retail version of the same program. However, at that point, I had not conducted as much research as I should have, as I later learned that the OEM version of Windows 7 is tied to the motherboard of the first computer on which it is installed, meaning that all other hardware upgrades are allowed, but not motherboard upgrades. This is a problem for me, as I plan to eventually upgrade many components of my computer, including its motherboard, at some point in the future, and I do not wish to spend more money to get a new version of Windows 7 when I could have done that from the very beginning.

I noticed that the only thing that indicates that my operating system is an OEM version is the presence of the letters "OEM" in its product key. If I change its product key, will it no longer be considered an OEM system and thus no longer have the restrictions of such? However, if there is no way to bypass this problem, and I must purchase a new version of Windows 7, can I install it over my current installation of Windows and not lose any data or settings? I hope so, as it would be a major hassle for me to reinstall all my programs and customize all the computer's settings to how I have them currently. Finally, why does the OEM version of Windows 7 have such a restriction? I cannot understand what reason thee would be for placing such a restriction upon the system.

If anyone can assist me with this situation, I would be most appreciative for the help.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: How Can I Avoid Purchasing a New Copy of Windows 7?

Just call Microsoft and tell them you mobo fried or something. You had to replace it and reinstall your version of Windows.

The restrictions are placed on the OEM version for price considerations. It is always cheaper than the full or upgrade versions because it is tied to the motherboard. The license is _supposed_ to only be sold with a MAJOR computer component such as the motherboard, but places like Fry's will sell it to you regardless of if you buy any computer stuff.

You can call M$ and have it reactivated, but they usually only allow this once or twice.

Yes you can upgrade to a different version, but I have not tried to upgrade over an OEM version yet.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Just call Microsoft and tell them you mobo fried or something. You had to replace it and reinstall your version of Windows.
    I have considered that, but I do not wish to risk any legal trouble if I must falsify the condition of my motherboard simply so I can get a new one for my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    The restrictions are placed on the OEM version for price considerations. It is always cheaper than the full or upgrade versions because it is tied to the motherboard. The license is _supposed_ to only be sold with a MAJOR computer component such as the motherboard, but places like Fry's will sell it to you regardless of if you buy any computer stuff.

You can call M$ and have it reactivated, but they usually only allow this once or twice.

Yes you can upgrade to a different version, but I have not tried to upgrade over an OEM version yet.
    So, are you saying that I should have conducted more research and spent extra money to get the full retail version of Windows 7? If so, I can perfectly understand that, as it was rather unwise of me to immediately purchase the less-expensive product without first learning why it was less expensive?

I actually would have no problem at all paying a monetary fee to transfer my operating system to a new motherboard, provided that the fee was less than the cost of actually purchasing a new copy of Windows 7, which is $180 at Newegg.com (the OEM version was $100, a very significant difference to me, as I currently have only a part-time job that pays less than what I would like it to). Does Microsoft usually allow its customers to take such action?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I made the same mistake in getting Windows 7 HOME premium instead of Windows 7 professional so I had to buy both. I need professional to connect to the domain at work.

If you plan to upgrade in the future I would not sweat it right now. When you get ready to change the mobo, then talk with M$. You will only be in legal trouble if you continue to use your OEM disk on the original motherboard after activating it on the new one. I have transferred the license a couple of times on my last xp oem disk and since I completely replaced the mobo, it was not an issue. Hell I never had to even call them as the system activated with the new mobo no problem. You probably won't have an issue either, but again I have not played with the OEM version yet to verify this.

I also understand about the cost... No matter what kind of money you make, it is always painful to buy a new OS.

BTW: If you are a student, you can get a good discount too.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

BTW: If you are a student, you can get a good discount too.
    I was JUST typing that up. I bought the 32-bit and 64-bit Professional Upgrade for $30 each. Couldn't pass it up.

FYI you don't HAVE to be a student, just have a .edu email and your set.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Well, too bad the discount doesn't apply to HS students.

I don't have an EDU email, but I DO have a district supplied email.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Well, too bad the discount doesn't apply to HS students.

I don't have an EDU email, but I DO have a district supplied email.
    Is it only accessible on the school network? If you can check it from home, then it should be something like amev@randomhs.edu which would work.

@OP
    I've transferred an OEM XP license to different mobos at least twice but probably more...I can't remember when I got that copy. I had reformatted so often that there were apparently red flags thrown in MS's secret activation bunker and it would always require that I called in, talked to the activation robot which also failed, then a live person would pop on and ask me for the activation code, why I was activating it, and then how many computers it was installed on. (The correct answers are 'I reformatted' and '1'. If you say anything else you messed up...but don't go installing it on multiple computers either, that's illegal. The guy on the other end of the line doesn't care about any of the questions he just asked, he's just trying to get to the end of the workday...so make it easy on him!) I don't think they even enforce the 'OEM is non-transferable' rule. You aren't going to get in any legal trouble either...a single $100 license being transferred is not worth their time...I don't even think they'd waste the time to deactivate it.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Technically, yes, the license is tied to the MBB that was in the system when you originally installed it. There are two ways you can solve this problem if you change the MBB. Either 1) buy another license and change the license key during activation, or 2) ...lie (which of course I have never done and do not endorse.....right... ). Like mDust said, if you tell them it's a reformat and it's only installed on one computer they don't pursue it any further. ...which I definitely don't know from experience...since of course I've never done it...yeah, that one...

The great thing about the academic licenses is that they are both dirt cheap and full licenses.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I thank everyone for the advice on this subject, and as I shall not be upgrading my computer at any point in the near future. I shall simply wait until I actually am ready to upgrade and then contact Microsoft about it.

And I am currently a student, but I have already completed four years of college and have a Bachelor's Degree; I am now at a school to learn to become a computer technician, and I am already making great progress, so I am not certain if I could get any special deal or discount that would be given to a college student.