Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Can I Avoid Purchasing a New Copy of Windows 7?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: How Can I Avoid Purchasing a New Copy of Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    And I am currently a student, but I have already completed four years of college and have a Bachelor's Degree; I am now at a school to learn to become a computer technician, and I am already making great progress, so I am not certain if I could get any special deal or discount that would be given to a college student.
    It's worth a shot at least, especially if you still have access to a '.edu' email address. The best price on an academic Windows license that I've seen is this (under 'Other Student Deals'):
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...e/default.aspx
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Actually, I've tried my HS email already.

Didn't accept it.

Looking at whois, it IS tied into the school district.
    (not gonna put the domain name on; privacy reasons.)

Even the teachers are [teachername]{at}[districtinitials]{dot}[org].
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Even the teachers are [teachername]{at}[districtinitials]{dot}[org].
    I was wondering if that was the case. I know when I worked for a county board of ed we had .org addresses not .edu. I think edu are reserved for post-HS institutions.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Well, it used to be .k12.id.us.....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Would it be easier to simply purchase a new copy of Windows? I will eventually be replacing literally every component inside my current computer (CPU, memory, motherboard, video card, sound card, hard drive, and optical drive) with superior components, apart from the power supply, although I may need to replace even that as well. Perhaps it would be easier to build an entirely new computer with a new installation of Windows and then use the file and settings transfer wizard to transfer what information can be transferred? What does everyone else say about that?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

I may have already mentioned this, but what if I use either Windows Anytime Upgrade, to upgrade to the professional version of Windows 7, transitioning from an OEM version to the full retail version in the process, or simply change the product key of my operating system? Will either of those actions help me to achieve the goal that I seek?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Well, the 'any-time upgrade' does the same thing as if you bought the upgrade license anywhere else and installed it, so yeah, that would work...I think. I've always been a bit hazy on what the legal requirements are for using an 'upgrade' license. I mean, logic would dictate that 'upgrade' means you have to have a legally functioning version prior to installing the 'upgrade', but I have never seen one that actually checked. It's crap like that why I just stopped caring a long time ago. Seriously; they're already charging us a ridiculous amount for the license, why do they feel the need to complicate matters with these stupid restrictions? ..but that's a rant for a different thread...
    --Benjamin Franklin

my friend had this problem with vista , you just have to call MS tell them your board died and you need to put a new one in they will unregister your current serial so you can add it to your new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Quote Originally Posted by blaze15301 View Post
    my friend had this problem with vista , you just have to call MS tell them your board died and you need to put a new one in they will unregister your current serial so you can add it to your new one.
    Actually with vista its stupid easy, you call the automated and when it asks how many computers has it been installed on you say 1 and works everytime. I have used my oem vista a dumb amount of times. That was a while ago though.

As far as windows 7 goes, i have formatted at least 5 times on this oem code with 2 different motherboards /hdd's and not once had to call or register. It has always been this one PC though. You shouldnt have a problem calling them and getting it activated. There actually really good about it, I had to do it for my father who bought an upgrade and he was trying to install it like a full version. The tech actually bypassed the code and let him do it that way. Just be respectful and explain to them your computer's hard drive died and your installing a new one.

It is your software not running on another system, it is still your computer and that is the only system it will be on, there is no reason to feel guilty. Just install it and if it says it wont activate call the automated line, punch in the keys and when it asks you how many systems it has been on you say 1. Should be that simple if it even asks for manual activation which i dont think it will based off my experience.

Funny story about 7... The license I have for my main system is an upgrade license purchased through MS's educational portal, so many less restrictions than with an OEM and about half the cost. Anyways, when I had to reinstall several months ago, it kept bugging me that it couldn't automatically activate and I needed to call them to do it manually. Of course, I ignored it, figuring it would eventually kick me and make me do it...but then something strange happened...it just went away. IDK if it finally managed to activate or what, but one day it just stopped bugging me about activating it.
    --Benjamin Franklin