Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Synthetica by AnG3L

Overclocked

Default Re: Project : Synthetica by AnG3L

I cant say that it will be a plexi mod as the acrylic is used only as a "frame" for the creation. I am going to add fiberglass and isopon for finish and then I am going to paint it.
    I believe you gonna like this one!

Overclocked

Ok guys a midnight update (basically its 1 AM here!) its coming your way!!
    Lets get down to business asap!!

First off all I glued the modeling paste parts on the main frame as I dont want them to move around while I am going to work with the fiberglass.

The aluminum parts arrived from the laser!! Here you see the 2 radiator stands. I am going to bend them later on and also do some minor modifications if its needed.

From left to right. Hdd and dvd stand, ssd stand and power and restart button holder. I know that its difficult to imagine how these parts are going to look like fully assembled and finished but after the bending and the addition of all the extra pieces you will know! A tip though. I am going to "hang" everything on the top part of the case....

The top and bottom part of the case.

These are the sides of the box. From bottom to top. Ssd window, power and restart button, dvd bay, ventilation for 8mm fan. The piece on the side its the PSU stand.

And this is the ssd window which is going to sit flush on the aluminum side.

As you see I decided to redo the corners of the case as I encountered some problems when I tried to fit them but also I didnt like them after all the fixing!
    Here as you see I did the threads on 8 pieces (4 for the top and 4 for the bottom)

Glued together with acrylic cement glue.

After a lot of sanding!

I also cut a 3 mm piece of acrylic in a way that will allow some light *white ambient lighting effect* to "escape" through the bottom. In that way a gave a little space to the sides that are going to be attached on the case, so they wont be tight and get scratched while you remove them.

A big hole for the screw to pass easier into the thread.

Glued and ready for some drum sanding and filing/sanding.

Finished!

And here is a quick shot of how the case is going to look like. The sides are going to be attached on the acrylic corners also on the top part it will be the motherboard, psu and rads.

Thanks for watching and reading my work guys! Hope you like my job so far and be more curious for later!!!! Peace!

I'm curious due to your source of inspiration and the fact that you are hanging components from the 'roof'. I'm more of a brutalist or minimalist but aesthetic shapes that also serve a purpose appeal to me.

I wish I had friends with a multi-million [insert currency here] shop. Heh, I wish I had an empty room somewhere to use as a workshop...you're a lucky guy!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Overclocked

Indeed the overall design is somehow "strange" yet unique and thanks for pointing that and actually reading the thread instead of just browsing the pictures as many others do!!

I am a lucky guy if you consider that I mod on the washing machine as I have no bench and on my bed and floor which are my secondary benches!! I live in a very small house with one room and I also live with a pension of 450 Euro per month after the series of accidents I had 5 years ago.

I feel rich though as I have 2 hands and 2 eyes and I bless the Lord for that and for my friends who work in the laser and cnc industries.

So you are lucky too my friend, bless the Lord for what you have and let your passion to modding do the rest!!! Thanks for your wonderful comment my friend!

Overclocked

Its time for my next update lads!
    I did many and different things as I have to wait for the components to arrive in order to take measures and move on to the rest.

First I did some bending on the top part of my creation. I had to take in count the height and the position of the front 240 rad and the 120 one on the back side of the mod. This is going to be attached with fiberglass on the main body and then work my way with modeling paste and more fiberglass etc etc.

As you can see I am using my "hand made" brake to bend the aluminum parts. The bend its not so tight as with a cnc brake but I didnt want "aggressive" bends as this mod must have a flow and a unique minimalistic design. I am using a soft face hammer and sometimes a piece of wood for extra support during the bending.

First the HDD - DVD cage.

I forgot to take some finished pictures lolz you will see it later though
    Next is the PSU holder.

This is the 120 radiator stand. I need a stand cause I wont attach anything on the top main part in order to remove it and have access on the hardware.

While I was trying to put together the bottom case I realized that the aluminum sides didnt fit right between the acrylic corners and I cant understand why as the 2d 3d designs seem ok! Anywayz I had to do a small redesign which I believe came out better than the original plan. I will cut a small part from the edges of the 2 panels (front - back side) and a bigger portion from the other 2, giving also the screw holes a different design.

I also rounded the edges for s smoother overall look. I used clamps to file them together to leave space for no mistakes.

Cutting the 2 panels a little more and also cutting the holes on their edge to give them an "open circle" design which it works the same as it was a plain circle.

Finished pictures you will see once I finish the bottom case.
    I will use many spacers in this mod as all of the components in the bottom case they will be "hanged" from its roof. They will also hide the threads from the screws I am going to use.
    I cut some just to make some tests and see how they look/fit. I am using an aluminum rod 10mm OD 8mm ID.
    This is just some testing, I will add acrylic o-rings later and plastic anti vibration parts.

I also marked and drilled the acrylic corners in order to make some threads. Later on though I decided to use 3mm aluminum threads and embed them in the acrylic. It was the best way as the threads were quite small and easier to brake through time.

I also countersunk the holes for the threads to sit flush. I added isopon 38 inside the hole and also on the top to keep the threads steady rock!

Thats all for now guys, more to follow many more yet to be done. Thanks for reading and above all thanks for commenting and supporting my efforts.

Love the folding brake and the PSU and HDD cage are looking real nice, hacksaws and files my favourite tools many people hate filing but i spend hours sawing and filing when i could probably do it quicker with a dremel or something but I can sit for hours shaping things, filing makes me feel like I'm really creating and carving something which I guess you are

Those acrylic corners look cool, just like blocks of ice, I'm still not sure how this build is going to look overall

I also work on the washing machine but I have a small worktop on it, luxury

Overclocked

Nice little workshop brother!! We have many similarities lolz Thanks for your kind comments I like filing and I am gonna have a lot of it along with sanding!! Stay tuned bro for more!! Thanks for being here!

Overclocked

Update no 6 guys and we move on!!

After I embedded the threads into the acrylic corners and fixed them with isopon, I sanded them
    with 150 grit and finished with 300. More sanding and detailed work will follow prior to painting.

Then I used this dremel bit to clear carefully the threads from the isopon.

Finished!

My first thought was to use countersunk screws in the front and back side but then I choose to do the same on all the sides. Cutting the screws in size. After I changed my mind I cut more countersunk screws for the other panels too.

Countersinking the holes.

For the 2 other panels I couldnt use the countersink bit due to their different design so I had to file them.

Attached all the side panels of the box. Front part will be the buttons and probably the fan controller but not sure yet, left panel is the dvd-hdd, right panel is the ssd along with their window and back side is the 80mm exhaust fan.

And here are the restart and power buttons. I am going to attach them later on 2 momentary switches.

So, I also started my work on the top part which is going to take me a long time due to its difficulty. First I used a thin carton which I folded in two and bended it to use it as my guide for the fiberglass.

I used two angles to keep the piece in a particular angle, not complete 90 degrees but close to that due to my design.

Preparing and applying the first layer of fiberglass.

I also applied some fiberglass on the back side of the curve.

Attached the top piece with cement glue in order to keep it steady for me to work with the fiberglass.

I took the piece inside my room to leave the fiberglass rest for 12 hours and then I did some more work on forming the top piece in the proper shape.

Added the final cloth fiberglass and finished the main body. The amount of work in this particular piece is unbelievable as the flow that the design has its very difficult as it will have many curves which they must combine with each other flawlessly.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment in my worklog it means a lot to me. Till the next time, peace!!!

Overclocked

I want to say also that the countersunk screws you see on the box will be replaced as they cant fit as the aluminum is 2mm only. I will use some cap screws and feet on the bottom which they will support the corners too.

Just like the best sandwich is always messy, the best mod is always challenging. Looks sweet so far.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.