Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do # of 12V rails matter?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Do # of 12V rails matter?

Yup, those'll work just fine. Though, keep in mind, if you're going for keeping the colors, SATA also uses a 3.3V (orange) line.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Meh. Since its 100' I'll just get black. No point in spending $100 when I could just spend $20

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Then sleeve 'em the right color???
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Everything will be sleeved Orange.

OK so I bought the 1000W OCZ one... 80 Gold over 80 Silver. At least I know I will never need to worry about power in this thing. + 7 year warranty isn't too bad.

Thanks for the help!

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Under extreme stress, multiple rail PSUs tend to be a little more stable as a ripple in a single rail has less chance of affecting your overall stability. Having said that, if you're pushing a PSU that hard, you have the wrong PSU anyway.

Single rail PSUs have one major advantage over multi-rail ones, and that is that you don't have to consider load balancing at all - again, if you're that close to the threshold you should probably be looking for a different more powerful unit anyway...
    There is zero difference in performance between single rail and multi rail, as they're 99% identical.

As for what you said about load balancing, read below.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I've read before that multiple 12V rails were nothing but a marketing gimmick. What matters is total amperage, which is why companies like Corsair have high-end power supplies with single rails and massive amperage output.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You have it the wrong way round, single rails are actually a marketing "gimmick", which was spread to most "enthusiasts" by PC Power & Cooling. The idea was that one big single rail was better for powering high end graphics cards and that a multi rail would fall short because of the low amp ratings on each rail. That was actually true 5+ years ago, where multi rail designs weren't as well made, because you would sometimes end up overloading one rail and tripping the PSU's OCP, which would then shut it down. That isn't true for modern multi rails though, as load balancing between rails and such is done automatically.

I actually made a post about single/multi rails a couple months back, which explains it a little: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...2&postcount=36

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    OK so I bought the 1000W OCZ one... 80 Gold over 80 Silver. At least I know I will never need to worry about power in this thing. + 7 year warranty isn't too bad.

Thanks for the help!

well if it makes you feel any better my E80+ gold enermax power supply has been running just about every day since 2004 or so. i'm on my fourth set of components with it and its still going.

Good to hear. I've only ever lost 1 PSU due to a power surge.