Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new media player(Ipod suggestion not welcome)

Fresh Paint

Default Looking for a new media player(Ipod suggestion not welcome)

I want to get a new mp3 player.
    But don't an Ipod since EVERYONE knows what they are and what they do.
    So I would like suggestions that are not Apple/Ipod brand. Thanks.

Here is what I want:
    Atleast 8gigs, would like a SD card slot.
    Wifi Access
    Internet Browser that lets you watch youtube and such.
    Video would be nice.
    Touch screen would be neat.

I've been looking at the Archos 43 and 32 & the Samsung galaxy player 4(but its not out yet).
    So any suggestions would be nice, besides the 2 before and Ipods.

Thanks
    -Rock22

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for a new media player(Ipod suggestion not welcome)

That browser requirement is really going to limit your options....I think...I haven't really been paying much attention to the portable media player market recently..

Another option that might meet your requirements better would be to get an android phone with wifi and just don't get a cell plan for it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

the archos can be hacked for android rom's, so i would look at those if you cant wait for the samsung player.
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors

get an ipod.

sorry, couldn't resist saying it.

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

I have decided to revive this thread, because I, also, am seeking a new .mp3 player.

Some time ago, my 32 GB Creative Zen (an amazing device) ceased functioning without any warning, and my first desire was to purchase a new device, but Creative no longer manufactures the version of the device that I owned, and the newest version, the Creative Zen X-Fi 3, is a severe disappointment, according to user reviews, so I must now turn to another brand to find a suitable .mp3 player.

My requirements for a new device are as follows:

-It cannot be an IPod, since I wish to avoid those simply because they are so popular and prevalent
    -It must have a storage capacity of 16 GB or greater (since I currently have 9.5 GB of music on my computer)
    -It must have the ability to browse through music by artist name, album name, or genre, and have the ability for custom playlists
    -It must have a custom equalizer (the ability to adjust bass, treble, and midrange frequencies)

With those requirements in mind, what recommendations can anyone here make for me? Thank you very much.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Original Zune will satisfy that, although it's hard to get a hold of these days. Zune HD can change preset EQ settings, but not custom, but is totally awesome (still use mine every day).

If not those, then I'd look at the Ponos music player. You'll be in the hip crowd with it while not being in the iPod group.

I've got a Sansa Clip Zip that I love. The EQ has presets or 1 5 channel custom setting, however they only go up to 8G. They do however have Fuse+ in 16G that got good reviews and has the same basic system.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

what about an older Galaxy II Rocket or something?

It seems that Creative is no longer updating their Zen series of media players, which is a major tragedy, since I was very fond of those devices.

Thankfully, however, I have discovered that Sony is producing digital media players, and these two models interest me; the 16 gigabyte model is the more affordable of the two, but, since I currently have 13 gigabytes worth of music on my computer, and am frequently adding more, I shall likely fill it entirely very quickly, so I shall likely need greater storage capacity, even at such a high price.

What does everyone else say about this? Are those two .mp3 players worthwhile considerations?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

What about this player? This is the closest model that I could find to my previous player; in fact, it is nearly identical, apart from the slightly different buttons. It seems to have been discontinued by the manufacturer, but there are some used devices still available for purchase.