Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inspire meeee!!!

Anodized

Default Re: Inspire meeee!!!

during a presentation today (not mine, i just listened, or daydreamt rather...) I thought you could use a pinball plunger. That shouldn't be too hard to mod into a power switch. The only problem would be that you might pull the computer to the floor by starting it .

Or, here I go again, something like this:
    the-big-red-button-of-doom
    maybe just the button (i don't know).

I really should do something useful now.

-.erik
    These go to eleven. -- Nigel, This is Spinal Tap

Thinking about Rankenphile's Frankenstein switch gave me another idea...

What do you want the switch to do? Just turn on? If you don't need the hold down to power off function, only a momentary action you can do it easily.

Use a discreet monostable. In its simplest form all you need is a capacitor, although you will need a discharge path for it. Using a transistor would be better.

Basically, close the switch either way and it sends a pulse to the computer to turn it on. Shut down either with software or by throwing the switch the other way, sending another pulse to shut down.

It has to be wall mounted though, and you'd need a little ugly man calleg Igor to operate it during storms.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree
    It has to be wall mounted though, and you'd need a little ugly man calleg Igor to operate it during storms.
    And you need to practice your diabolical laugh.

-.erik
    These go to eleven. -- Nigel, This is Spinal Tap

Here's a nice industrial switch...

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opengswede

That kind of button! that is the kind i was talking about!

With the cover and you have to use a key to open it.

Holy hell xmastree, i don't think i want one of those next to my computer. In fact, i don't want to be next to one of those full stop.

I had some ideas, and i think i might do with the thumb button, and incorporate an idea i had a while ago; i'll post up a sketch in a few days, so you can see what i'm thinking.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Humph. I dunno.
    We come up with all these neat ideas and you go and do the thing you first thought of. :p

Oh no, i'm thinking about using the thumb for the power switch. I got so wrapped up with thinking out switches that i decided i had to use some of these ideas; i'm going to use another idea for the CD drive switches now. I'm trying to figure out how feasible the thumb switch is; it shouldn't be too difficult, but i'm trying to think about how much space i have...

Trust me, i appreciate the help guys! I only thought up the idea yesterday, so like i said i'll post something when i get the chance.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Ok Dave, I'll give this a try too since it is way more fun than studying for boards (I am finding myself more easily distracted than ever ). Ok, your list of theme criteria: I tried to meet them all and think I can:

Light Industrial-I thought of gears naturally
    Science Fiction-hmm, not of this world, maybe alien design
    Warning Signs-I'll get to that in a sec.
    Matt Black & Gloss Orange-got ya covered
    Orange Perspex-ditto
    Black Mesh with led's behind it-I'll explain
    Hazardous Substances-ditto

Here is the basic design I had in mind: (By the time I got to the gears, I screwed up so many times I had to cut out the rest and glue it to another sheet, the never did come out good, but hey, this is just a concept drawing.)

I know it looks like a lot of work, and it would be, but Dammit Dave I know you could pull it off and it would be sweet looking on your case. You would want to work from inside to outside. Start by finding anything dome shaped whether you want opaque and coloured, or translucent and coloured with an internal LED would make a difference on what you selected. I recommend walking around the grocery store and look at cooking utensils, and products packaged in plastic bottles of various shapes. When you find your dome, cut it and decide how you want to mount it on your power button. Then the next layer can be made by cutting a piece of perspex in a ring and colouring red or somehow get it fixed up so that a red LED (spliced in with the "power on" lead for front panel LED) outlines your button. Then the same goes for the next layer, the top part of the ring is illuminated by a green light in my drawing, but I think red would be better, use this for the HDD light and the red will flicker when the HDD is accessed kinda giving that Hazard look. The bottom ring is the power on LED lit orange to match your scheme. Then everything else can be cut out of any material and carved and painted to match the case or drawing or whatever you like best. (I know you have a Dremel Dave, time to do some 21st century whittling).
    Ok, that coveres every criteria except black mesh and hazardous substances. I suggest getting some fine mesh, like the king used for car speaker grills, and building a small rectangular boxed shape, then you could make another carving of perspex in the shape of a biohazard sign, and again wire some LEDs under it. Then cut a hole to mount the awesome switch you just made adjacent to it. Well, I think that covers all the criteria, good luck with the integration project, looking forward to seeing this puppy!
    Jon

Dave, I got an idea for ya.

That touchpad from the knackered apple laptop I have. It's 2" x 2.5". It might fit, and you could probably figure out some way of powering it from USB 5V on standby, and making it respond to being stroked in a particular way (stop sniggering at the back!). You would need some messing around with a PIC and stuff, but it would sure be unique.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...op/padback.jpg
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...p/padwires.jpg

The larger of the two switches is no longer available, as it's now mounted in my 5.25 drive as the power switch.

It's yours if you want it.