Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BluRay Media Player

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default BluRay Media Player

Any suggestions for a BluRay Media Player? Doesn't have to be free. Just has to work well.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: BluRay Media Player

I know PowerDVD by Cyberlink is capable of it as is WinDVD by Corel. There doesn't seem to be any significant freeware presence yet. I put a Blu-Ray in my parents comp then found out that you need one of those two. Something to do with the licensing and Sony not wanting to share with MS.
    TheMainMan

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I've used PowerDVD since it came for free with my drive. It's ok, but personally I didn't like it that much...too bulky...got in its own way too much. The reason there's not any free software for playing BD's is because the AACS decryption license still costs a good bit and is still kept separate from the hardware licensing.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I do not recommend PowerDVD at all. I'd pick WinDVD over PowerDVD at all. I have a few movies, but AVATAR refuses to work with PowerDVD 8 (what my drive came with) even though it should be working fine. Later versions play it, but have issues with BD-Live. WinDVD worked with both BD-Live and my copies of Avatar.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I found Total Media Theater 5 and it is pretty awesome. Resource hog tough. Makes Windows go to Basic because of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Makes Windows go to Basic because of the video.
    PowerDVD always did that to me as well. Anyone had one that didn't?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

If anyone's interested, I just found a better solution.

It's called DAPlayer, and it's the only blu-ray player I've found that's actually free!
    http://www.digiarty.com/

From what I can find in reviews and such, apparently they update their compatibility on a weekly basis, so some new titles might not for for a week or so after release, but imo that's outweighed by three things:
    1) It's free.
    2) It doesn't kick my computer into 'Basic Mode' like the version of PowerDVD that I have does (f***ing annoying, and it looks like crap).
    3) It's a hell of a lot lighter on system resources than the version of PowerDVD that I have.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    If anyone's interested, I just found a better solution.

It's called DAPlayer, and it's the only blu-ray player I've found that's actually free!
    http://www.digiarty.com/

From what I can find in reviews and such, apparently they update their compatibility on a weekly basis, so some new titles might not for for a week or so after release, but imo that's outweighed by three things:
    1) It's free.
    2) It doesn't kick my computer into 'Basic Mode' like the version of PowerDVD that I have does (f***ing annoying, and it looks like crap).
    3) It's a hell of a lot lighter on system resources than the version of PowerDVD that I have.
    I actually found that one last week. And like you said, not all titles work with it right away.

I have completely different problems with PowerDVD.. On my computer it doesn't doesn't bump my dispaly to Basic Mode and when watching a BRD it uses less then 15% CPU. Memory is higher than other programs running but I still have PLENTY in reserve.

My BIGGEST problem with PowerDVD is all I want is a DVD/BDR player. I don't want it to scan for music, or photos, or even other videos. All I really want it to do is PLAY BLURAYS. I don't even really need it to play DVDs, I have other better music players, as well as photo viewers.

I will have to check that one out for sure.