Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have Diabetes :(

Default Re: I have Diabetes :(

For those that don't know, Wilford Brimley (the gentleman shopped into the pic above) is a well-known diabetes spokesman and actor.
    I think that CJ has a good grip on what to do here, and I hope that we never have to shop CJ's head onto a shirt about diabetes posthumously. Because we will.

Feel better, man.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Five years ago, I had a doctor tell me that she found sugar in my urine. I told her that the tech must have accidentally put donut crumbs in it. I never will forget the chewing I received after that from both the doctor and my wife.

My blood sugar level was over 300. I had to have my gall bladder removed. So when I received the news that I am diabetic, I also got a whole lot more bad news. I also had bad enzymes in my liver. I semi-politely told her to just dish out one shocking revelation at a time. She did not think that was funny either.

I completely gave up beverages with sugar. All I drink now is water and milk. After I lost 60 pounds, I had to stop taking the medication because it would drop my sugar level too low. Now I am controlled with diet alone.

I know that it sucks to hear this news now. It sucked for me to hear it five years ago. But I live a whole lot healthier lifestyle now and I have maintained it for five years. I hope you can see that as a positive the way that I have.

Also a word of warning, when you are in pain or under a lot of stress, that rotten number goes up. Mine has been up because I have been under constant fire at work lately.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    yep, reducing that sugar isn't good enough, you need to remove it altogether
    ya back to my previous post about not only cutting out sugar. but sucrose fructose glucose and other forms of sugar.

I'd recommend stevia, its a 100% natural sugar free sweetner based from sunflowers or some crap like that, tastes almost like cane sugar. its aspartame free and all that fun stuff. so no worries about tumors and growths from consuming tons and tons of diet soda.

on the flip side of things i'm allergic to aspartame (artifical sweeteners) they give me the runs and rediculous headaches.

i'm like a anti-diabetic. which go figures since i'm 5'7" 121lbs.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Less Sweet Tea (I usually use 1.5 cups of sugar per gallon. Now using 1 cup per gallon.)
    I have to agree with other people on this thread. I completely gave up all sugar in liquid form. That was dang hard because I was addicted to Dr. Pepper and I also liked sweetened tea. It is impossible to cut out ALL sugar, but we have to minimize the intake. Milk still has carbohydrates, so I only drink about a cup a day.

Almonds are supposed good for diabetics. I eat a few servings every day.

You're on the right track though. I eat 5 small meals a day just like you are doing. My wife pointed out that eating healthy cost more money. She buys "south beach diet" stuff for me to eat because it minimizes carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates is what brings up your glucose levels.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpirate View Post
    My wife pointed out that eating healthy cost more money.
    Not really. Pre-made stuff, yeah, sure, but as with any food, healthy or not, you can either spend money or time. If you prepare all your food yourself eating healthy isn't really any more expensive than eating unhealthy. And if you go from buying pre-made unhealthy food to preparing your own healthy food, it'll actually be cheaper.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Not really. Pre-made stuff, yeah, sure, but as with any food, healthy or not, you can either spend money or time. If you prepare all your food yourself eating healthy isn't really any more expensive than eating unhealthy. And if you go from buying pre-made unhealthy food to preparing your own healthy food, it'll actually be cheaper.
    Depends on where you live. Local prices on fruits and vegetables while trying to feed a family of four is quite costly. When you compare it to lets see pressed and formed chicken nuggets enough to feed a whole family at roughly the price of a good bell pepper to feed one person it is a pain. The only thing that keeps my mom in vegetables this time of year is her vegetable garden. On this front at least CJ lucked out.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Depends on where you live. Local prices on fruits and vegetables while trying to feed a family of four is quite costly. When you compare it to lets see pressed and formed chicken nuggets enough to feed a whole family at roughly the price of a good bell pepper to feed one person it is a pain. The only thing that keeps my mom in vegetables this time of year is her vegetable garden. On this front at least CJ lucked out.
    Bannana at wal-mart neighborhood market? 97 cents

Bannana at the small latino market down the street 37 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    Bannana at wal-mart neighborhood market? 97 cents

Bannana at the small latino market down the street 37 cents.
    Like I said I can buy enough pressed and formed generic brand chicken nuggets from Meijer for 99 cents, and the closest farmers market that is regularly open is roughly a 45 minute drive.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Sorry to hear about the news CJ. On a positive note, several of my friends/family have diabetes and are able to control it with diet alone.

New research just released in the UK says that type 2 diabetes can be reversed by nothing more than a severe low-calorie diet.

Researchers say the "remarkable" discovery proves that a simple eight-week diet can do away with the need for years of expensive medication.

This discovery might seem a bit simplistic but for years Peptic ulcers were operated on and many people suffered with them for years before some Australian researchers discovered they were caused by bacteria and could be treated with drugs that killed the bacteria so here's hoping this new treatment works.