Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what to look for in a raid drive

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: what to look for in a raid drive

yup, i saw that site when i was searching for info on raid drives here. everything up to raid 5 i already knew. i couldn't find any info on what drives to actually use though other than the professional drives were best, but they were out of the budget. since this isn't a mission critical server, just don't want any dataloss, i decided the samsung spinpoints had the best rating for reliability.

coorect me if i'm way off here, but from the way it was described to me, the internet radio server simply streams a single stream of music out to whoever happens to log on to the website, so there isn't a whole bunch of different streams running at once. i'm thinking that means that even though the spinpoints are only 3gb sata that they will have more than enough throughput for that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    coorect me if i'm way off here, but from the way it was described to me, the internet radio server simply streams a single stream of music out to whoever happens to log on to the website, so there isn't a whole bunch of different streams running at once. i'm thinking that means that even though the spinpoints are only 3gb sata that they will have more than enough throughput for that environment.
    I'm sure a single HDD could handle dozens of streams if necessary. The disk loads the songs in to RAM much faster than they can play. Don't even worry about it.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    i'm thinking that means that even though the spinpoints are only 3gb sata that they will have more than enough throughput for that environment.
    No current platter HDD can saturate even 3Gbps SATA anyway, so that won't be a concern.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Custom Title Honors

this has been all very good info and i thank you all very much.

however, i just learned yesterday that this is not actually the server running the internet radio station. it is just going to be a file repository and storage. so i think it will only need a single 2T drive and an external drive for back ups. it won't be turned on unless adding files to the repository or uploading new music to the server.

just a little disappointing because i was wanting to actually build a raided machine.

hmm, maybe i will anyway if it's cheaper to raid some 1T drives than to go with a 2T drive.

stay tuned for a worklog on it in july sometime.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

OOC, do you have any particular reason to use an external drive for backups? Setting up dual 2TB drives in a RAID 1 will offer better performance and would, imo, be the better option barring some specific reason to use an external.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Custom Title Honors

only because he already has an external drive with all his files on it.

after looking at some pricing, it looks like 3 1T drives in raid 5 will actually be cheaper than 1 2T caviar black drive. so i may still go the raid route anyway.