Thread: Free Team Fortress 2!

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Default Free Team Fortress 2!

Valve is giving away TF2 for fee on steam, forever! More info here:

http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

Default Re: Free Team Fortress 2!

For anyone who gets this for free and wants a coach, let me know. If you ever upgrade to the non-free version, can you list me as your most helpful coach? Actually I have a copy of TF2 as a gift pass I would be willing to give to anyone willing to list me as their most helpful coach.

I'm a bit upset by this, only because I shelled out the money during pre-orders. Now I know that I'll have the "premium account," but so do all the other people that will only spend 2 bucks on a hat.

People who bought the game should at least get a "Thanks" hat or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichbin View Post
    I'm a bit upset by this, only because I shelled out the money during pre-orders. Now I know that I'll have the "premium account," but so do all the other people that will only spend 2 bucks on a hat.

People who bought the game should at least get a "Thanks" hat or something.
    You do get a join date medal depending on when you purchased the game.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Primeval_warrior
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Grizzled_veteran
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Soldier_of_fortune
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Mercenary

Aye, but I'm talking about this whole free ordeal.

The way I figure it, the Orange Box came out with five games in it, so I only really paid $10 per game, although I already owned two of them.

Valve also had TF2 for $2.50 for a long time, then made a statement in the TF2 blog about never doing that again.

At this point the game is closing in on four years old. I've enjoyed the game for all that time, and it's been updated over and over during that time as well, for free. Valve can do what they want with their products. They probably figure at this point that giving it away for free with the appeal of the in game store is probably going to make them a lot more money. This is upsetting to me for other reasons, but not because they are giving the game away for free now.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    The way I figure it, the Orange Box came out with five games in it, so I only really paid $10 per game, although I already owned two of them.

Valve also had TF2 for $2.50 for a long time, then made a statement in the TF2 blog about never doing that again.

At this point the game is closing in on four years old. I've enjoyed the game for all that time, and it's been updated over and over during that time as well, for free. Valve can do what they want with their products. They probably figure at this point that giving it away for free with the appeal of the in game store is probably going to make them a lot more money. This is upsetting to me for other reasons, but not because they are giving the game away for free now.
    I agree: At this point, it makes more sense for Valve to draw in more people with a "Free-to-Play" campaign, as they likely make all their profit from TF2 now from the in-game Mann Co. Store. After all, why charge a measly $2.50 for a game where people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars for electronic facsimiles of various pieces of headgear & weaponry? It also explains why Valve decided to add a "Free-to-Play" platform to Steam.

Admittedly, this likely boils down to a cost-effectiveness/profit margin strategy for Valve, but I'm personally glad they are opening up the game to a range of players who otherwise would have probably never thought about TF2.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED View Post
    I agree: At this point, it makes more sense for Valve to draw in more people with a "Free-to-Play" campaign, as they likely make all their profit from TF2 now from the in-game Mann Co. Store. After all, why charge a measly $2.50 for a game where people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars for electronic facsimiles of various pieces of headgear & weaponry? It also explains why Valve decided to add a "Free-to-Play" platform to Steam.

Admittedly, this likely boils down to a cost-effectiveness/profit margin strategy for Valve, but I'm personally glad they are opening up the game to a range of players who otherwise would have probably never thought about TF2.
    I'm sure they are making tons of money from this. Valve knows how to make money and very few of their decisions are solely based on what's best for their customers. If what's best for the customers is also going to be what makes them the most money, then that's what they'll do. Most of the time though, this is the case. It's what makes them such a good company.

They gave me a hat.

I'm happy.

Other than that, only thing that I've seen be a real issue, is the influx of people that don't know how to play the game, but that'll go away soon.

plus it makes my k/d ratio give me grins.