Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus Motherboards are Junk

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Asus Motherboards are Junk

This is what I see every day. Piles of Asus garbage motherboards. Their video cards, monitors and laptops are all fine though.

These are all marked to be returned to the vendor

WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Asus Motherboards are Junk

I agree.... My friends 790 board started losing the PCIE slots the other week after 3 years, and i had another friend lose his i7 to an asus board with a mild OC...
    Not dead yet

i had a crosshair 2 and i will never go back again. I had all kinds of odd issues with the board. and asus support sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I've only owned one and it too lost power to the PCIe slots. They won't get me twice.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I'm on my 3rd, about to by a 4th... never had any issues.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'm running an P5E right now that I got from Trace, and my wife was running a new P5N-D up until I got her the sandy bridge setup from TGS's contest, now her old C2D is going to me mom to replace her old P4

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I'm on my 3rd, about to by a 4th... never had any issues.
    I've not had any trouble (that I didn't cause myself) with any of my last 4 Asus boards. I lost a PCIe slot on my last one, but it was due to a watercooling leak that fried parts of the board and the gpu. Expensive incident. They've always been 'rock solid' while heavily OC'd 24/7...just like it says on the box.

There was the NB incident with the Formula IVs, but Asus offered to take care of that. I just fixed it myself. A dab of TIM was all that was needed...not worth the shipping time.

Out of curiosity, do those boards going back say what's wrong with them? Someone may have ordered the wrong board or didn't like the color. lol
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

think asus is bad, should try rocking a ECS mainboard one time.

they don't really "stop" working, but one parts fails, and then another and then another

i had a ECS board (cant remember the model name) but it was socket 462

well first one of the IDE slots went, and then the other.. so i used a PCI ide card.

then the board suddenly forced itself to 4x mode and would never go to 8x again.

then two of the five PCI slots stopped working.

and i had to give up after the rest of the pci slots stopped working.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

I've been running a mixture of ASUS & Gigagbyte boards for years, and never had a single problem with any of them (including an ASUS P5B Deluxe and an ASUS P4M800). That is, until my latest build for my parents using an ASUS M4A785-M board I got as part of a bundle. The video wouldn't work 50% of the time (whether I ran it through onboard or a discrete card), and when it did, the board would throw out a "Bad BIOS Checksum" error, regardless of whether I used the original BIOS or flashed it to a newer version. The board refused to even POST with RAM in either of the "B" slots. I think I posted a thread in the Chatterbox about my horrible ASUS Tech Support experience (link forthcoming), but I did get an RMA and the identical replacement motherboard worked just fine.

@Twigsoffury - I feel your pain about ECS motherboards. Made the mistake of using an ECS once in a relative's build - NEVER AGAIN. After less than 6 months, the motherboard developed a short where it would randomly shut down for no apparent reason. After essentially rebuilding the machine twice with different CPU's, RAM, hard drives, and cooling systems with no effect, I finally swapped it with an ASUS that has proved to be no problem for the last 3 years.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Out of curiosity, do those boards going back say what's wrong with them? Someone may have ordered the wrong board or didn't like the color. lol
    It's definitely not the color. It's any number of things, like dead PCIe's, bad SATA ports, not responding USB ports, etc
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440