Thread: Comfy Ratchet

Default Comfy Ratchet

I found a Proto 3/8 ratchet the other day, and after getting it working (Froze up), I decided I'd do a regrip.

I found some green Stanley screwdrivers at Lowes to use as the handle. I clamped the blade of one of the 'drivers in a vice with the handle facing down. I wrapped the top of the handle with a rag, and put some channel locks around the blade so it sat on the top of the handle. Then simply tap the handle off by hitting the pliers with a hammer.

I then took a caliper and measured the knurled handle on the ratchet. It came out to be about .635". So I found a 5/8" drill bit, chucked the handle in the lathe using the three jaw chuck, and bored the handle out.

Next I lined the logo on the handle up straight with the head of the ratchet, and using a mallet, I tapped it on. No more knurled crappy handle!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Default Re: Comfy Ratchet

Haha, nice! You should have machined the logo off and machined your name onto it.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Well done, I love it.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks guys! Here are a couple better lit pictures. It ain't quite a Snap-on round-head, but I have a feeling it will be one of the ratchets I reach for.

I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for it now. I'm trying to find a rebuild kit that will fit it, but doesn't have a quick release...

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice. It looks a lot better in the pictures than I was imagining.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Got a chance to use it today on a PT loser. The refreshing to the ratchet I did seems to have done the trick. No slipping under load.

The grip works good, too. Comfy, still fits in tight spaces, and didn't get marked up even when it hit a bracket while using it.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10