Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

The download? That itself should only amount to a few megabytes currently. The world is procedurally created so the files themselves are small with the largest things being the textures and audio.

Each world save currently ends up being about 15MB, with five save slots. So in total, the game doesn't take up much space at all.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I mean size of the download. I only download at like 20kbps so it would take a long time if its like a gig.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is only a few megabytes. I haven't built to test it, but the debug/release folders are pretty small, but I figure some overhead for any framework stuff it needs to bundle.

Started work on some parallax backgrounds. Started with clouds (quick texture). I need to think on this and expand it so I can have different backgrounds for different regions that blend into one another. I only need to worry about it for the 3 surface zones, but how to blend two together nicely I'll have to think about some.

Right now it is a single layer of clouds, but all I have to do is toss another layer over the top and set a different speed and its good to go.

Something I've been meaning to add. When the player's health drops below 20% he flashes between normal and red every 0.5 second. So for 0.5 seconds he is red, then for the next 0.5 seconds he appears normal, etc. It needed some sort of indicator that he was near death.

Also, future screenshots will be .png. I got tired of seeing artifacts in the images I uploaded, so I swapped to png. I'll go back and put an option in the menu so players can choose their preferred output format.

Wow, watching Mojang's livestream for Humble Bundle makes me feel a whole lot more confident about my game and my programming abilities.

Notch, and his team, don't just bang out an awesome product right away. Some of their early work looks just like the work I started with. It simply gets better with iteration, effort, and practice.

Granted, they are going to make their game in only 60 hours, it does make me feel a whole lot better. It lets me know I shouldn't be so critical of my first attempts at something, because I can always keep chugging at it and improve it as I go along.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I'm going to see how it fleshes out....

Right as the same time our local Google hackathon is going....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I'm about ready to just start looking for an artist to make me the naked body frame for all the animations that I can overlay with clothing / armor / etc. I keep coming back and trying to make one, but I can never get it looking right. At these sizes, a single pixel can change everything. Bleh.

After trying all day, I just gave up and went to sketching some concept art for other stuff.

I wonder how much someone would charge to make the naked spritesheet of a similar body shape to my existing sprite. Walking / Running, jumping, climbing, etc.

If anyone here wants to have at it, we can talk credit / money if the naked body is better than the ones I've come up with. The last one I posted lost all the soul of the original sprite. Bleh. This is going to drive me mad, lmfao.

Took a break from it and came back today. I think I have something useable now.

I kept his head stationary, so I only have to make two images for the helmet: facing left and facing right. The chest itself should also be only two images: left and right. The pants and boots will have to be done for each frame.

I think I will pull the arm. Then if not attacking, draw the arm in its location for each frame. If the arm is attacking, draw the arm in the correct spot for each frame. Then draw the armor of the arm portion of the chest, and the glove onto the arm swinging / slashing the weapon each frame.

He is also just going to have to be right-handed when going right, left-handed when going left.

Screenshots as PNG aren't saving the opacity correctly so its back to JPEG.

This image is a glimpse of the groundwork that has been laid for equipable armor. The helmet is being drawn over the character and animates at the same time as the player. The helmet here is defined as an item, which it then loads its texture, grabs its animation, and plays it the same as the underlying character. I still have to figure out how I want to do the arm, but all the rest of the body parts are set to be equipable armors.

Just a quick concept art sketch of a monster for the fire region.