Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

I've been drawing it all manually, pixel by pixel, in Paint.net.

GraphicsGale for the animations, which I haven't shown any yet. I really liked how easy Pencil was to get animation onto the screen, but it wasn't easy to work on such a small scale. GraphicsGale is more complicated, but I figured out how to get the same onion skin, so it should work great.

Animation has been scaring me, so I played around a bit trying to get used to it. Made a UFO familiar hover down to beam something up.

Made using GraphicsGaleFree. Exported as multiple PNG files, then compiled into a GIF with GIMP.

I was playing around a bit with different ideas for dirt / grass blocks. I think I like it better when I don't try to hide the seams and let the player see that they are tiles.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Hiding the seams would take away from the block by block changes like digging. I like the retro look that it adds too!
    TheMainMan

The problem is that I'm not a good enough artist to pull off any sort of texture while losing the seams. Even with multiple versions, and a random element to which gets drawn, I still end up with a visual repeating pattern. It looks odd when you can tell by looking at it that the person was trying to hide it.

I'm still going to do some randomness to the blocks, and I will keep the dynamic texture system I had, where as you dig the shape of the blocks change a bit.

Once I redo the character it won't clash so much (1x1 pixels vs 2x2 pixels). Haven't gotten to that yet.

What would it look like with a border that was closer to the colour of the dirt (a.k.a brown) instead of the black seams? That could give it a block look without the grid being so dominant.
    TheMainMan

That's what I had before, although I don't know if I ever took a picture / video of it. It looked alright, but clashed with my style of black borders on everything.

The more I look at those tiles the more they grow on me. I've got a project for class I have to finish up this weekend, but after that I can get going banging out some progress. I'll test some ideas out for tiles then.

If you've seen any of my youtube videos, you can see how many different tile ideas I've gone through. This one in particular had the brown borders. But it was a flat brown tile.

Yep, that's pretty much what is was thinking, just with the new textures.
    TheMainMan

Yay! I've got a drawing tablet incoming. Now I can get some concept art down; drawing with my mouse was killing my wrist. This should really help me get my thoughts out there. Then I can just convert them to pixel art.

Had my last class of the semester. Finals next week, but that means I can finally get these images broken up and start programming them into the game tomorrow.

Onward!

Having watched my sister using her drawing tablet on her new Windows 7 machine, I can say that once you get used to it you can draw a lot faster too.

Good luck on exams!
    TheMainMan