Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

Windows PC only. I need to finish up a few more things then an alpha exploration test will be available for select testers who want to help me search for bugs and things to improve.

Then there is still a ton of stuff to get done. If I had 40 hours+ a week to put into it, I might have a better timeline, sorry.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking good!

Thanks. Programming for my classes has taken away most of my time these last couple weeks, so slow updates.

I was doodling and playing around in photoshop. Not anything I am proud of, but it seems a bit better than the flat colored screen I had before. The entire menu system will be revamped at some point anyway, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

0_0

DUDE.

Just... WOW.

PS: Did you get my PM?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Yes. I'm going to hold off on emailing him until I have something better to show. I'll keep the address handy though.

Had some free time today so I got a few things done.

Added 8 or so blocks and 8 or so walls. Currently they are just palette swaps, but they are in the game. The base regions for all nine underground regions are in place. They aren't unique in their randomness of cavern layouts or anything yet, but it is a start.

Also, the swing animation for the right arm is in. Still need to draw up the left arm. Now you can swing regardless of how your character is moving. This will allow me to draw up the weapon swings and get those going.

I'll post a video up when I get this finished up, which should hopefully be in the next few days.

You can view it at a larger size on youtube.

As promised, a video. The animation code was rewritten for this. Now I can play an animation once instead of manipulating the frames from the outside. In doing so, I need to put a trigger back in for when tile damage occurs, but that shouldn't be a problem.

The draw order needs to change so the pickaxe draws behind the hand. Also, while my offset is correct, I must not have applied it correctly to the spritesheet itself, as the alignment is off by a few pixels in each frame.

While it looks a bit awkward, I chose to allow the player to keep swinging in the direction they were originally going by holding the mouse button down. This way the player can kite monsters more easily, instead of only being able to attack in the direction the player is facing. I might change this further and make the weapon swing direction based on the mouse pointer's location relative to the player.

Once a few things get settled then I can start adding more items. Then I can worry about adding basic monsters, AI, and player / monster damage. The enemy logic is already in, but the AI needs to be written, and the spawn logic. You can see a slime monster I was playing around with on the right side of the video at some point.

After remeasuring and getting the same measurements, I slowed the animation down. The arm is a frame off of the pick, which is why the hand / pick alignment is all off. When the animation is played at speed, you would have to really look for it to notice it, but I know it is there, so it will be fixed.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Updates?

Loving where this is heading!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Slow at the moment. Between midterms and a possible big change in my life coming up Tuesday, I've been distracted. I've been designing gameplay elements though, and playing with ideas.

The biggest reason this has been slow recently, aside from school, is that I've been job hunted. Hopefully I will find out on Tuesday after what should be the final stage / interview, if I've landed my first 50-60k + full paid insurance + full paid benefits job.

Once these distractions are out of the way I can get some more updates going. I suppose we could find out Tuesday if one of those will take effect.