Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

This is so cool. I get so excited when I get to a point where something comes together and little bits start to feel like a game.

*You now take fall damage. What was a fixed value of damage is now a percent damage function based on your fall height.
    *Sufficient pools of water break your fall. Shallow water doesn't stop taking damage from a fall, but a deeper pool will.

*You now have breath. The default character has 10 seconds of breath underwater. You only lose breath if your face is under the water.
    *If you get out of the water your breath fills back up at 20% per second, fully recharged in five seconds.
    *If you run out of breath entirely, you begin to take damage to your health. Regardless of how strong you may or may not be, once you are out of breath you WILL die in 5 seconds (20% per second). This gives enough time to possibly get out while still sufficiently punishing you for running out of air.

*Dying now sends you back to the spawn point.
    *You get full health, mana, and breath when you respawn from death.

Values can be tweaked, but I set the defaults nice and low to give reason for other items to increase things like air quantity and such, but didn't want recharge times of higher characters to be penalized for having a higher quantity. Hence, the percent based functions on certain parameters.

More stuff this morning:

*You can now use your mouse to select hotbar focus.
    --So now you can scrollwheel, number keys, or mouse click for focus
    *Full Left-Click mouse support in inventory
    *You can now swap things around your inventory at will.
    *Combine stacks, fill up a partially full stack then drop the rest or put it in another location
    *You can drop items from your inventory onto the gameworld
    *When inventory is open you can manipulate the inventory and hotbar item locations. When inventory is closed you can't manipulate the hotbar item locations. This is to act as a basic lock system so you can't spaz while fighting and accidentally move or toss items from your inventory.

I'm going to add right click partial stack pickup. I haven't decided if right clicking picks up half the stack quantity like Minecraft, or Terarria click / click-hold increment by one. We'll see.

EDIT: Sunday 2011-08-07

*Right click inventory manipulation has been added
    *Just right clicking on an item takes one from the item stack and puts it into your pointer/holder.
    *Holding the right click over the item continues to add one to the holder if the item is the same as the one you are holding
    *So now you can fully manipulate the inventory in the ways you'd expect from a normal game.
    *Thinking of adding a box / trash can you can drop the items you don't want, so they can be destroyed.

Big fixes today. I had broken all the collision and movement code trying to go back and make jumping parabolic. Well, I kept throwing away code because nothing worked right. Not really anything anyone else would see, but things just weren't smooth when they had been before.

As always it was something little. All fixed now and my movement code is so much nicer.

*Jumping is parabolic, and is a force that works against the ever present gravity.
    *Movement in water is entirely changed. It is now slower and a bit floaty.
    *You can jump infinitely in water, which acts like a swimming upwards thrust.

This is easier to show than to explain so I will try and get a video up within the next few days.

I'm also seriously considering ditching the 2x2 pixel art design for a 1x1. Although I like the 2x2 pixel art and think it works well for the game and my limited art skills, I want to differentiate the art even further from Terraria / Minecraft. There is no way people aren't going to point out the similarities, I just don't want to give them too many to point out.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Sounds good!

This would be a sweet mobile game. Especially with multi-player, that would be amazing!

It's currently only in development for Windows, with the possibility of a later xbox port. But I could see the game working well on a large touchscreen phone or tablet. Hmmm... thoughts to consider for later.

I've made some big strides today again.

*I've got a basic enemy system into the game. I have to write the spawner code, and write the AI code but the underlying system is in. I just wrote some basic code for a dumb AI a couple minutes ago to test it out. Right now a little rock monster just follows you around and tries to jump up the rocks to get to you if he can. Attacks and player monster collision aren't in. The collision is easy, I already have most of it, but attacks and player/enemy damage isn't in yet.

*Items are now affected by gravity. It wasn't critical to give them an parabolic curve, so they fall at a set rate.
    *Item spawn position when a block is mined now has a randomness to it so they will fall in slightly different spots. This gives the game a more polished feel.

I'm sure there are others. I'm going to run through now and make a video of all the new stuff since last time and get it up. Expect it within the hour if not sooner.

As promised, I threw together a very quick video of me playing around, showing off the various new features. As always, watching directly on youtube in 720P is best.

Link to Video on Youtube

Embed

Thanks for the support guys!

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Looking good, it's come a long way since the first viedos!
    TheMainMan

Thanks. I've poured a lot of time and energy into it. I'll work on getting it looking better once the underlying systems are in place.

Working on getting a basic lighting system going by manipulating sprites, alpha values, and render targets. I'll change it around to be shader based or something more complex later, but I wanted to play around with getting a basic system started.

And that method above wasn't going to work using default blendstates, so I defined my own.

Above, if two lights overlapped each other the entire sprite was being drawn so the light wouldn't even look close to being correct.

Now I draw my texture in reverse brightness and use subtractive blending and the lighting blends in a way you would expect from a simple system like this. I'll get images or videos up once I get more implemented and such.

EDIT: I'm tired, so I leave you with this.