Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom case made from old elevator parts.

Default Re: Custom case made from old elevator parts.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Sounds like some awesome ideas! Just don't let it go the way of Top Gear's projects ("Ambitious...but Rubbish").

What I think would be really awesome for the front panel is to work with the existing LEDs and have them display the various data you want. Have the front nearly indistinguishable from the original.

Either way, I think this is going to turn out pretty sweet. Good luck and welcome to TBCS!
    I would love to be able to pull that off, but the necessary circuitry to make a modern motherboard talk to that old insanely complicated 125V DC stuff is a bit beyond my talents. Those square LEDs are all mounted to a big board that is driven by a maze of rainbow ribbon cables.

So I've been making some mock-ups with Google SketchUp, i have a couple questions that i could use some more experienced brains on.

1. How important is it to have the back of my PSU exposed to outside air? I understand that if it's not it will just dump hot air inside my case, but if i am liquid cooling everything, does that matter?

2. will a three 120mm radiator be sufficient to cool a i7 and 2 x GTX560 ti's? I don't plan on extremely overclocking them, and the radiator will have good air flow when they are overclocked. (pulling the bottom drawer out 5 inches will completely expose both sides of the rad to outside air).

3. maybe i should ask this in the water cooling section, but here goes. Are variable speed pumps worth the extra cost? My impression is that the only benefit is that you can slow them to reduce the noise.

4. Why didn't anyone tell me how awesome Google SketchUp was????

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I can't answer 2 and 3 as I have no experience with watercooling but 1 will depend on how good the airflow through your case is as even watercooled computers need airflow to prevent hotspots on the motherboard. As for 4, you didn't ask . It's pretty awesome and there are some great sources of computer part models in the warehouse and a few sites online.
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    I can't answer 2 and 3 as I have no experience with watercooling but 1 will depend on how good the airflow through your case is as even watercooled computers need airflow to prevent hotspots on the motherboard. As for 4, you didn't ask . It's pretty awesome and there are some great sources of computer part models in the warehouse and a few sites online.
    I love that I can just draw a circle and a path and extrude to see what my hose routing will look like,it's magic.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    So I've been making some mock-ups with Google SketchUp, i have a couple questions that i could use some more experienced brains on.

1. How important is it to have the back of my PSU exposed to outside air? I understand that if it's not it will just dump hot air inside my case, but if i am liquid cooling everything, does that matter?

2. will a three 120mm radiator be sufficient to cool a i7 and 2 x GTX560 ti's? I don't plan on extremely overclocking them, and the radiator will have good air flow when they are overclocked. (pulling the bottom drawer out 5 inches will completely expose both sides of the rad to outside air).

3. maybe i should ask this in the water cooling section, but here goes. Are variable speed pumps worth the extra cost? My impression is that the only benefit is that you can slow them to reduce the noise.

4. Why didn't anyone tell me how awesome Google SketchUp was????
    1. It gets pretty hot... I would say pretty important if you only have 3 fans in your case.

2. Not sure... I run a 2600K and 2x 560 Ti's and they get pretty warm even with my WC setup. Idle they are only at like 28C but folding they get up to they low 50'sC. Air cooling they were at almost 70C. My CPU idles at like 32C and folding hits 53-57C. I'm running 3x 200mm fans, 1x 140 and a dual 140mm rad. GPU's have the DD full block and the CPU is using a XSPC Rasa block.

3. No. Buy a single speed because they are not that loud at all. All of what I said in #2 is quieter than my wifes PC running 3x crappy 140mm fans.

4. Indeed it is awesome.

Hope this helps you some.

1) Having your PSU venting inside the case won't hurt anything, but all temps will be quite a bit higher. You'll need extra case fans bringing fresh air in and exhausting all the much hotter air. Generally, you want the exhaust fans toward the top, since heat rises, and intake fans towards the bottom so air moves through the entire case. If you allow the PSU to dump heat into the case without adequate airflow, you'll just create an oven...which is only bad until the temp reaches cookie baking temperatures! Once it gets too high for cookies it becomes bad again.

2) If you plan on OC'ing all 3 then even with excellent airflow a single 360 rad will not be enough to maintain decent temps. The 2600K will be happy at <70C under full load when OC'd. Aim for 50-60C max though. It will throttle down at 90C, and dies at 100+C. GPUs are a completely different animal. They don't mind 90C at all...keeping them below 60-70C is a good idea but isn't necessary. The problem is the 2 GPUs will be dumping a lot more heat into your loop than the CPU (in 3D mode, 2D will not be a problem). Which leads to higher water temps, which leads to a higher CPU temp. OC'ing will exacerbate this.

3) True, the only benefit of an adjustable pump is noise reduction. Running the water faster does not have any effect on temps. Some pumps are noisier than others, just like case fans. If you're sensitive to noise get the adjustable, otherwise, it does not make a difference.

4) We didn't think you were ready for sketchup yet. Also, we, as a community, very much enjoy saying mean things like 'why didn't you just use sketchup, noob!?!'...especially after something major goes wrong during the build.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    2) If you plan on OC'ing all 3 then even with excellent airflow a single 360 rad will not be enough to maintain decent temps. The 2600K will be happy at <70C under full load when OC'd. Aim for 50-60C max though. It will throttle down at 90C, and dies at 100+C. GPUs are a completely different animal. They don't mind 90C at all...keeping them below 60-70C is a good idea but isn't necessary. The problem is the 2 GPUs will be dumping a lot more heat into your loop than the CPU (in 3D mode, 2D will not be a problem). Which leads to higher water temps, which leads to a higher CPU temp. OC'ing will exacerbate this.
    I'm only using a 280 Phobya Rad and temps are great... I OC my 2600K to 4.8~4.9 and both 560 Ti's to 990Mhz. If your doing some EXTREME OCing then thats a diff story but you cant go much high that what I'm at and still be stable.

Is a 360 rad worse than a 280?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I'm only using a 280 Phobya Rad and temps are great... I OC my 2600K to 4.8~4.9 and both 560 Ti's to 990Mhz. If your doing some EXTREME OCing then thats a diff story but you cant go much high that what I'm at and still be stable.

Is a 360 rad worse than a 280?
    It depends on a lot of variables, but I would say that generally a 280 would be better than a 360. The 360 would have about 4 sq cm more fin area but it would be negated by the dead space under the extra fan. Also, higher speed 120mm fans would be required to match the airflow of 2 lower speed 140s. If the system is in a fully a/c'd room, you can get away with less radiator. If it's not, I'd definitely get more.
    I had a 240 and 120 rad in my last loop and got only acceptable temps with a q6600 (4-4.1ghz) and HD2900 (mildly OC'd, forgot what exactly). I had to get some 180cfm Deltas to OC either any higher. We really can't say that the observed results from my hardware will absolutely apply to anyone else, especially with different hardware, but it can still be taken into consideration.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Alright, thats a lot of info to take into consideration, I'll post my sketchups in a couple days if i get some time. I think i may have thought of a solution to my psu placement problems. Thanks for your time gents.

Ok, here is a few pics of what i have sketched up so far.

I can tell you that the wrong way to use sketchup is to draw what looks like your model with no actual dimensions, then try to re size it to scale later.....

Mind that these are a bit rough, i will be butchering more holes in the drawers for cables and hoses and airflow (oh my!). The overall dimensions are to scale tho, so i am almost ready to start modeling the outside around these drawers. It's hard right now tho since i don't have them in person, i have to go to the building and take down measurements then come home, and i always seem to miss something critical.