Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

I average 24 disc a month and have hit 27 before.

Actually the netflix streaming library has decreased in size in the last few months. If its on STARS Play, or is a Sony Licensed disc it went away. They lost something like 30% of their streaming movies. Also if it is a new release you will not get it for streaming for a minimum of 30 days after release and in some instances it could be 90 days. They really have let their whole business model go to crap. If it were not for their huge disc library with almost every older movie I would like to see, I would drop them all together.

If you watch 10 or so movies a month and can get to Red Box's website quick enough to reserve a copy of the new release you want to see then that would work out great, but for me I am way to busy to take a trip to redbox, sort through the movie list, and then take it back the next day. I can update my netflix queue from my Android phone as long as I have some sort of data connection. This means I can add movies as I think about them and I can check to see whats up next or pull something from the bottom of the queue to the top.

At $15 for 3 DVDs at a time it's still worth it for me. I usually have a 1 day turn around on my dvds and as long as that stays true and they do not throttle me like they have other customers, then they will keep getting my $15/month. (Are you reading this Netflix?)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Netflix anounces price increase for all accounts. No more $9 Streaming and DVDs

Haha, ok, fair enough. That's a lot of discs each month. ...I suppose I may be a bit of an odd case in that in the ~2 years I've had a Netflix account, I've only ever had them send me one DVD. I got it specifically for the streaming, so it didn't really affect me when I dropped that part. I actually hadn't noticed that their Starz-play and Sony streaming had gone away. That sucks, but I can't say I'm really surprised, given Sony's past behavior on similar matters...and to be fair, after looking into it, it really doesn't make financial sense for Starz to continue their deal with Netflix. I just hope they don't do what HBO has done, and limit their online offerings to only cable customers.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...ny-movies.html
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

A few cents increase could have been tolerable for a while, but their price hike this time is a little too much for entertainment. I decided it's better to go for streaming alone, it works for me good enough at 7.99. I can't deny that they still have some value compared to other brands offering similar services but meh, I have a lot other options if I want some fun.

I came across some article discussing the best choice among the plans offered by Netflix by details, so for those who wants to earn good value with their services it's a pretty good read: Surviving the Netflix price increase.

I never really got into netflix. I tried the free streaming trial and there just wasn't very much I was interested in watching.

I've got a redbox literally across the street from my apartment, and our library does 5 day bluray rentals for $1 and they usually have a pretty good selection and movies that just came out.

I remember the talks about netflix increasing in prices. It seemed less like they wanted to and more the big companies charging them more to have their content so they needed to make up the difference somewhere.

Wow 20%? I knew it was high but I couldn't remember how high it was. I heard anything from 20-40%, but 20% sounds more realistic since something as high as 40% would be... insane...

Still, 20% is HUGE if you think about it. Man.... that's intense. Now, on a single basis... think of what that must do to an ISP at peak times.