Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to modding, first case... ideas needed

Default Re: New to modding, first case... ideas needed

Quote Originally Posted by akzorz View Post
    mkay, i like the dragging idea, but dont want to drag it. did a lot of photoshop grunge brush creations, and i think i can incorporate some of that into it. I am putting the Dragon Slayer in that gothic font on the other side of the case. I think i am going to do that in a metallic "hammered" Copper and some grunge to it on the other side. I like the idea of flames or something on the other side, but i dont want it to look cheezy.
    Ok, I see you don't want to over do it. The napalm doesn't have to be real napalm...a can of starting fluid and an electrical spark would work! Still no? Ah well, I'll shelve that idea for later. Don't be jealous when fire-breathing computers become all the rage and you don't have one!

I wasn't suggesting cheesy flames, I was suggesting awesome flames...flames that you can show off to friends and be proud of.

Were you into the whole dragon thing or you just want the beat-up, rustic look that is accociated with that movie?
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I want the dragon thing and the rustic look just seemed to go flawlessly. Like this case had survived through the war of Dragons cause it was just that B.A.

and what i meant, don't want it to look cheesy is, you can have sick flames, but if they just aren't in the right spot or you over do them, they just look lame and dumb.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Sounds like you need to look into some aging techniques.

Custom Title Honors

for aging references, you could do a bit of research on weathering model trains. the techniques used are quite simple.

tyvm xr4man, sounds like the right track... no pun intended.

Custom Title Honors

i was into model railrodaing for a while and would like to get back. the weathering techniques those guys use make things look so realistic it's "unreal" lol. and like i said, they are quite easy to do, just takes a bit of practice to get it to look just right. then you spray everything with a "dulling" clear coat (i can't remember exactly what it's called). but that gives all the colors a washed out and well used look. the saying "less is more" is definitely true with weathering techniques.

awesome, i live like 20 mins from a model rail road shop and will go check it out. Also, going to go get a soldering iron tomorrow. Wellington is a brand that seems to be recommended?

Any ideas for intro, but capable of doing some good work, soldering irons?

Quote Originally Posted by akzorz View Post
    awesome, i live like 20 mins from a model rail road shop and will go check it out. Also, going to go get a soldering iron tomorrow. Wellington is a brand that seems to be recommended?

Any ideas for intro, but capable of doing some good work, soldering irons?
    I honestly don't do a ton of soldering, but the only thing I would look for is an iron with easily replaceable tips. They are a stupidly simple tool by design and I've never seen one break or unable to do a proper job...with the exception of the first one I bought which would not let go of a damaged tip. I can't recommend buying an expensive brand name.
    I would recommend a little stand with a sponge...they're cheap, save a bit of time, and prevent incidental damage to your work and work area.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

sounds good. I Go climbing every Monday, but i should have some time in between, so i might try to go pick one up then. Anyway, i will keep you all updated with pics etc.