Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISP's now required to keep all your browsing history for 1 year (US)

Default Re: ISP's now required to keep all your browsing history for 1 year (US)

Hm, interesting. Good read into x88x. If that's the case then that isn't actually all that bad. MOST ISPs keep logs of dynamic ips for a short time as it is, it's just that the logs aren't for a really long time, so really, it's just prolonging that. Realistically, they already have your name/address/phone # and credit card # if you do business anyway... so that's not really new info. Sounds like perhaps then it's just extending dynamic ip info if I'm reading that right. If that's the case then indeed, that's quite a leap.

Default Re: ISP's now required to keep all your browsing history for 1 year (US)

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Hm, interesting. Good read into x88x. If that's the case then that isn't actually all that bad. MOST ISPs keep logs of dynamic ips for a short time as it is, it's just that the logs aren't for a really long time, so really, it's just prolonging that. Realistically, they already have your name/address/phone # and credit card # if you do business anyway... so that's not really new info. Sounds like perhaps then it's just extending dynamic ip info if I'm reading that right. If that's the case then indeed, that's quite a leap.
    The required time to hold all the info has been extended from 30-60 days to 365 days.

If you google yourself you will likely see your full name, address and probably a phone number. You'll notice that your SS#, CC# and bank accounts are not saved with that data. There's really no issue until all that data gets lumped together and announced to the public that it's guaranteed to exist in one spot...at which point it becomes a targeted treasure trove for ID thieves.

With my luck, my data will be saved in a plain text file named 'secret personal data' on an open ftp server and there's nothing I can do about it.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Here's my thoughts: Lifehacker's article on this bill is nothing more than a poor attempt to increase traffic to their site.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    Here's my thoughts: Lifehacker's article on this bill is nothing more than a poor attempt to increase traffic to their site.
    Probably worked
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    The required time to hold all the info has been extended from 30-60 days to 365 days.
    18 months, actually. Another detail LH failed on.
    (h) Retention of Certain Records- A provider of an electronic communication service or remote computing service shall retain for a period of at least 18 months [...]
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    18 months, actually. Another detail LH failed on.
    Son of a...did they even read the bill before writing that article?!?

Damn the internet and its unreliability!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Son of a...did they even read the bill before writing that article?!?

Damn the internet and its unreliability!
    But it's on the interwebz, it MUST be true......

I work with waaayyyyy to many of these idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

sounds like a good increase on our currently monthly bills to get the s@#t required and storage space to save 1,000,000's of peoples usage history no matter how basic that data is..

millions of 14kb files start to add up lol

although it only passed one committee of the HOR not the entire house, Twigs brings a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    sounds like a good increase on our currently monthly bills to get the s@#t required and storage space to save 1,000,000's of peoples usage history no matter how basic that data is..

millions of 14kb files start to add up lol
    "What's this $50 storage fee?"

"Well..."

People who don't know much about how all of these things work, and what Internet really is, shouldn't be the ones making all the rules about it :/