Thread: anyone play necrovision?

Custom Title Honors

Default anyone play necrovision?

so i came across necrovision while being pissed off that my dos machine was acting up and not letting me play hexen. so far the game looks awesome, but my system just can't seem to handle it. i'm talking like 4 or 5 frames per second. it's painful. of course i will try and turn some settings down to see if that helps or if the slowness of reactions is just inherent to the game.

anyway, what i was wondering was if anyone has played it, what hardware were you using?

i'm pretty sure i have to upgrade to get the full experience, but i'm not totally sure what exactly i might need. this is my first forey into graphics intensive gaming.

ok, so my question about what to upgrade....

i was looking at a xfx radeon hd 6850 because i can get it on newegg for $150 right now. so that's not too difficult to figure out, but, should i upgrade my processor too? i'm running a 3.0 GHz amd athlon 2 dual core. would going to a quad core chip really help much or is it all in the video card?

if i can just upgrade the video card i can still use my existing psu, but if i upgrade the cpu, i think that will put me too close to the danger zone and would need a new psu.

it all seems to become a vicious downward spiral of spending more and more money. blah!!!!

Default Re: anyone play necrovision?

You have a 500 W? then a 6850 and a quad should run like butter without any issue, i actually have my roommates system running on a 500W PSU with a 6850 and a p2x4 oc'd to 4.2 ghz...
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors

well, i ended up getting a 6870. i figured i'd just try it and see if my dual core processor became a bottle neck or not.

anyway, i got it last night and installed it. holy cow!!!!! i don't think i'll have video problems for a long time now. the dual core processor doesn't seem to have any issues at all. and going from 40 stream processors to 1120 in the 6870 definitely did the trick.

i had borrowed a kill a watt from work to see if my power supply would be up to the task and with the onboard 4290 video, i was pulling a max of about 101 watts. at idle it was about 56 watts. now i am idling at about 101 watts and i haven't seen it go above 137 watts yet. but of course at the moments that it would go over that, i am in the middle of killing german zombies, so i can't look down.

i am extremely pleased now.

oh yeah, according to my bios i am overclocked to 3.4 GHz on my processor. that was a happy surprise.

Never heard of this game before but checked the gameplay on youtube. Looks like a fun game.

Custom Title Honors

it's turning out to be well worth the new video card to play it. it seems more like a hack 'n slash type of game rather than really having to use much in line of strategies. but as you are frantically hitting the "fire" button on the mouse and the "kick" button your fury level goes up and you get more ass kicking power.

german zombies that are on fire sort of suck though. they jack you up real quick.

sort of reminds me of return to castle wolfenstein, man that was a good game.

Custom Title Honors

yes, when i read the description, that's exactly what i though too. and basically the story is about the same. but it takes place during ww1 instead of ww2. the pieces of brains laying on floor after a good head shot are pretty awesome though. wolfenstien didn't have that.

Lol sounds like quite the graphic type of game. I may just have to check it out.

Custom Title Honors

it was $8 downloaded from amazon.