Thread: Registry fix for Win7 to remove 15-file limit

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Registry fix for Win7 to remove 15-file limit

Hey guys, some of you may already know of this workaround, but I just discovered it a few minutes ago and thought I'd post it. At issue is the limitation in Windows 7 where if you select more than 15 files, the option to right-click and open or print them (plus a few other options) disappear. This was driving me nuts, since I know what my computer's limits are in terms of opening files and it's way more than 15.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-open-edit-a...iles-selected/

all you have to do is create a simple new registry entry and restart...and voila! the limit is gone

Course, the status bar at the bottom of the file browser still hides file size info if more than 15 files are selected...I'd imagine there's a similar workaround for that but I haven't looked yet...

*update - apparently this last bit can't be done without a 3rd party app - this one here http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ looks like it can do it. And you can choose to only install the portion of the program that alters the file browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: Registry fix for Win7 to remove 15-file limit

Update on this - in practice, the restoration of the menu options when selecting more than 15 files doesn't always have the desired effect. For example, when I select 16+ pdf files, the right-click option to open them all is now available, but Acrobat will only open the one I right-clicked on. If I go back and select just 15, it'll open all of them. Irritating....
    And that classicshell.sourceforge program worked when I initially installed it, but after a reboot the part of the program that's supposed to display status bar info even when more than 15 files are selected ceased to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)