Thread: Overclocking help?

Default Overclocking help?

Alright, so it's been a while for me, so I don't have as much knowledge as I used to. Plus, I want to do this partly to see how far I can go. But I want to overclock my processor (more than it already is). I haven't read up anything about overclocking in years, so I'm not sure exactly how I should proceed with this. I know a slight bit, but would like to go into this assuming I have no knowledge on overclocking.

To start off, I have a Core 2 Duo E6700. My motherboard has a built in overclocking utility in the BIOS, which I've been using for a long time to keep my CPU clocked up to 3.20ghz. However the utility will only let me clock it up by so much. Ever since I got my new heatsink, replacing my stock one, and getting idle temperatures of 27C even while overclocked from 2.66ghz to3.20ghz, I wanted to see just how far I could push it.

I'm not too worried about actually damaging anything, I just don't know how I should proceed. So I need to help and advice and some tips on what to do. I know I'll need to adjust memory frequencies I guess alongside the CPU (four 1GB sticks of DDR2 800 by the way), and make sure I have a stable voltage as well. I just don't know where to begin.

Default Re: Overclocking help?

By adjusting your memory divider down, your board should allow you to clock the CPU higher. That's where you should start. Overclocking is all about isolating cpu from mobo from memory. Start with the mobo and its base clock/FSB. See how high you can get that with a minimum cpu multi. Once you figure that peak out, that is as fast as your board will go. Then go back and adjust both the base clock/FSB and multi (keeping the base clock below its peak) to achieve record breaking clocks!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

also, may i recommend you never use the built in overclocking tool? usually it will put way more voltage than needed through your chip...
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

A.) Make sure your voltage regulators are cooled if you over-volting past what the mainboard supports.

they look like this on your mainboard.

Some have heatsinks already (usually along side the processor socket)

and some kick a@# ones have fan + heatpipes + heatsinks

b.) make sure you attach a fan to the northbridge heatsink if your raising the FSB speeds up past what you suspect a passive heatsink can radiate.

because the square heatsinks with out a fan get burning hot as it is for stock freqencies on alot of boards, especially if your overall chassis air flow sucks.

then its just a matter of finding the highest supported frequency for the front side bus, adjusting your DRAM:FSB ratio so that your memory stays at the correct speed and timing. then adding the necessary little bit of voltage to get that new processor speed stable.

basically what everyone else said.

But i can say that Core2Duos are some Good overclockers, especially the premium models since they passed the most amount of Quality control checks. But you need to focus on the motherboard's needs before you go about overclocking your processor... cause the CPU heatsink isn't the only thing you should be worrying about when overclocking.

The majority of people who do a fatal f@#k up when overclocking, raise the voltage up past what the VR' can do and those burn up or catch fire lol.

other then that its pretty safe to do, you could potentially shorten the life span of your mainboard/processor, but i mean... i usually hulk my old parts in a few years anyways to re-coup the cost of the new parts.