Thread: Jetta Model 7850S HELP!!

Default Jetta Model 7850S HELP!!

Okay guys I have not been on if a very long time but I need some help. My mom got ripped and bought this old Jetta computer for $150. Windows XP and a 1.6Ghz Processor. Plus an outdated Videocard. What do I do guys? Is it worth it to get a new motherboard and processor? Its for my oldest sister and all she wants to play on it is The Sims3. Does anyone Even Have a Jetta?
    Despite your intelligence, you’ll make a perfect soldier. Save the good ones for Harvard, and send the rest to die.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Jetta Model 7850S HELP!!

I've never heard of Jetta before, but from what I'm seeing on their website all they make nowadays is laptops. If the computer in question is a laptop then two things. First, laptop motherboards are not standardized. Second, no, it wouldn't be worth it even if you could find a compatible board. The extent of what can be easily upgraded on laptops is RAM, hard drive, and sometimes the disk drive.

Now, as to your real question (if it's useful at all for the application), that depends on what that 1.6GHz CPU is. According to their website, The Sims 3 requires at least a 2.0GHz P4. If that 1.6 is, say, a Core 2, it should be fine. If it's a P4/P4-M, probably not. If it's a Pentium M, maybe.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

This
    ftp://ftp.jettaus.com/Jettaus/specsheets/7850Sspec.pdf

is the specs sheet for it. Youve Never heard of it either? lol I thought someone on here would have heard something bout them ya know? I figured it I couldnt find any compatible parts for it. other than maybe upgrading the CPU.
    Despite your intelligence, you’ll make a perfect soldier. Save the good ones for Harvard, and send the rest to die.

While it is possible you might be able to upgrade the CPU, I would be afraid that it wouldn't be compatible with the BIOS...and good luck finding an updated BIOS for that. You could definitely upgrade the RAM, but without a CPU upgrade it won't matter for your intended purpose.

All that aside, by the time you upgrade the CPU, RAM (especially with the ever rising cost of DDR SO-DIMMs), and HDD (because you would want to upgrade that too), you'd be within spitting distance (less than $100, if that) of the cost of just buying a new entry level laptop that would walk all over this thing, even with any upgrades it might be able to handle.

I would say put that laptop up for sale on ebay or the like and get as much as you can out of it, then get an entry-level or previous generation laptop instead that'll actually do what you need. You could get something that meets the listed minimum requirements for Sims 3 for probably around $400-450 new, probably less if you go previous generation.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Yeah I know I was just wondering if there was anyway to salvage something outta this. (Moneywise)
    For stock this seems to be the one id get for her.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+I...&skuId=3047444
    Built in webcam and wireless. Plus it has an i3 and its cheap.
    Still wtf is a JETTA! lol Your right Ebay would be its best hope.

Yup, sounds like a plan.
    --Benjamin Franklin

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Craigslist it to a unsuspecting person.

put 150$ towards new computer.

Fresh Paint

Hello:
    I have Jetta 7850 laptop(P4- 1.6GHz processor) available for sale if you would like to buy. It boots up very well. It has no hard drive and caddy. May be you could use this instead of the 7850S.
    You may send your email to
    aodedele@yahoo.com.
    I am offering this laptop for $75, you pay for shipping.
    Regards

Ademola
    Last edited by aodedele; 10-09-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling check