Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 months, 7 days.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: 4 months, 7 days.

Heheh, nice. Be sure and document it somewhere if you ever get around to building that.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x
    I am gonna have to find a bit more capital though...won't get paid until the 26th of September...nobody around this area would happen to need a refrigerator or portable dishwasher, would they?
    Damn, bi-weekly pay? That's rough starting out. Yard sale time!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    My house I've always wanted to build is based on underground domes - they're incredible structures, but built out of concrete underground? Yeah a thousand years is a conservative structural lifetime....
    Interesting. My dream is an off-grid, mostly (but not entirely) subterranean concrete structure...I wasn't planning on domes though. I've seen some pretty neat domed structures above and below ground and also under water. Very cool floor-plan options are possible with them due to their strength and even load distribution.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Damn, bi-weekly pay? That's rough starting out. Yard sale time!
    Nope, I'd be just fine with bi-weekly pay, that's what I've had for the last ~5 years. This is monthly pay. 26th of every month I get a big paycheck. Once I get past the first month it won't really matter, but I'll be continuing my penny-pinching for the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Interesting. My dream is an off-grid, mostly (but not entirely) subterranean concrete structure...I wasn't planning on domes though. I've seen some pretty neat domed structures above and below ground and also under water. Very cool floor-plan options are possible with them due to their strength and even load distribution.
    Yup. You can also have a much larger unsupported span with arches (domes are actually a type of arch, architecturally) than with more standard architectural techniques. This translates into much larger open floorplans and much higher ceilings. If you combine that with flat walls by recessing the floor into the ground, you even remove a lot of the problem with unusable space that many dome designs suffer from.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    This is monthly pay. 26th of every month I get a big paycheck.
    Ewww...Bleghh! You should do something amazing the first week, get a major promotion and use your new power and growing sphere of influence to change the pay to bi-weekly at the least. I'd forget why I was even there after a few weeks with no pay...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Yeah, but then you get a paycheck twice as big.

IDK, maybe it's a more common practice in the UK? The company started there and is still based there, so maybe it's just something that they started over there and standardize throughout the entire company. *shrugs* IDK, like I said, once I get past this first month it won't be a problem. I'm still getting the same pay, it's just arranged differently.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Glad you have a job. I hear things are tough in the US.

Also how I can tell you have been not working for a bit

TBCS post count of 6000+
    Need a sig

It's absolutely common practice to get paid monthly in the UK.

Ok, that makes sense then. Thanks.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Yeah, but then you get a paycheck twice as big.

IDK, maybe it's a more common practice in the UK? The company started there and is still based there, so maybe it's just something that they started over there and standardize throughout the entire company. *shrugs* IDK, like I said, once I get past this first month it won't be a problem. I'm still getting the same pay, it's just arranged differently.
    Are you? I always have to warn friends that when their jobs go to bi-weekly, they will walk away with less... Bunch of crap.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Are you? I always have to warn friends that when their jobs go to bi-weekly, they will walk away with less... Bunch of crap.
    Howso? Unless the employer is using the change in pay frequency to decrease the pay rate, how would just changing how frequently you get a payout decrease your take-home? Same salary, same taxes, same insurance/etc costs, same everything...so how would changing the frequency at which you receive a check change the net amount you receive over the same time period?
    --Benjamin Franklin