Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions About S/PDIF

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Re: Questions About S/PDIF

So, do most users here seem to agree that the status quo shall remain as it is for the foreseeable future: that S/PDIF shall be used primarily on high-end, expensive audio equipment, while less expensive equipment shall continue to use analog audio connections?

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    You have to consider more than just IO connections...
    The cheap one is 50W total power whereas the z906 is 500W. There are several other differences, but the gist of it is that the z906 is higher quality. You usually get what you pay for, but watch out for a marketing scheme called 'prestige pricing'.
    So, are you saying that, between those two systems that I mentioned, the more expensive system is the better option? Before I make a purchase, I wish to be well-informed so that I can have the best sound possible for my music and movies, and the speakers that I purchase shall also influence the sound card that I purchase, as well. If I purchase the less expensive speakers, I shall purchase this sound card to accompany them, as it supports 5.1 sound channels through analog connections, but if I purchase the more expensive speakers, I shall purchase this sound card, as it has an optical S/PDIF output but does not support 5.1 sound via analog connections. What advice can anyone here offer between those two options that I am considering?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

The factor that limits your audio quality is going to be your budget. If you want the absolute best sound quality (ultra high-end) it'll cost tens of thousands for studio-quality gear, gold analog connections, acoustical adjustments to the room, and a pro to set it all up. If you want high-end, it'll cost you a few thousand for everything and you can set it up yourself. Mid-grade stuff is around $1000. Low-end is a couple hundred bucks. That said, my surround system is low-end (just under $300 for 5.1) and works great. I've heard more expensive systems that friends have, and to be honest, they sound pretty much the same until you get to the high-end, few thousand dollar systems. Those sound nice!
    I wouldn't even waste money on a surround system that is under $100...that's ultra low-end...a China Special, if you will. I would imagine that the sound would be distorted at normal listening volumes due to its extremely low wattage in addition to its poor frequency response, and the bass would be laughably bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ
    So, do most users here seem to agree that the status quo shall remain as it is for the foreseeable future: that S/PDIF shall be used primarily on high-end, expensive audio equipment, while less expensive equipment shall continue to use analog audio connections?
    Do this: go to wherever you prefer to shop online, sort the systems by 'price: high to low'. Find a nice system around $1000-3000 and look at the I/O specifications. Every system will have analog connections. Many will only have analog connections. Link any that have s/pdif.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

The factor that limits your audio quality is going to be your budget. If you want the absolute best sound quality (ultra high-end) it'll cost tens of thousands for studio-quality gear, gold analog connections, acoustical adjustments to the room, and a pro to set it all up. If you want high-end, it'll cost you a few thousand for everything and you can set it up yourself. Mid-grade stuff is around $1000. Low-end is a couple hundred bucks. That said, my surround system is low-end (just under $300 for 5.1) and works great. I've heard more expensive systems that friends have, and to be honest, they sound pretty much the same until you get to the high-end, few thousand dollar systems. Those sound nice!
    I wouldn't even waste money on a surround system that is under $100...that's ultra low-end...a China Special, if you will. I would imagine that the sound would be distorted at normal listening volumes due to its extremely low wattage in addition to its poor frequency response, and the bass would be laughably bad.
    I have very little money at this moment, as I am working a job that pays only ten dollars per hour, for only ten to twelve hours per week. I hope to very soon (before the end of this year) have a new and better job, working from thirty to forty hours per week, but, even then, I still shall not have a great amount of money to spend on sound systems, as I have college loans and car insurance bills to pay. When I do eventually purchase a new sound system, I shall be content with the best that I can afford, as my current system is a Creative Labs sound card with only a 2.1 Creative Labs speaker set, and I am more than satisfied with the quality of its sound (as a side note, I am very fond of Creative Labs, as I also have a Creative Zen media player for my portable music needs).

As I have said before, I am only a casual computer user, not a hardcore one, so I do not need to have the absolute best audio equipment for my music, movies, and occasional games. A 5.1 system that produces realistic and high quality sound shall be more than sufficient for me, and if I can avoid spending several thousand dollars for such a system (money that would be better spent on purchasing a new car or moving out of my parents' house and finding an apartment close to where I work), I would prefer to do so.

Do this: go to wherever you prefer to shop online, sort the systems by 'price: high to low'. Find a nice system around $1000-3000 and look at the I/O specifications. Every system will have analog connections. Many will only have analog connections. Link any that have s/pdif.
    That seems to be good advice to me. While analog connections are still very prevalent and very familiar to me, I wish to both become more familiar with digital connections and also to support them, with the hope that they may become more prevalent if a sufficient number of customers use such products.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin