Thread: Getting Revenge On A Black Locust (Making a hammer handle)

Default Getting Revenge On A Black Locust (Making a hammer handle)

Having a Black Locust try and take out the old Cummins, I thought I'd try my hand at wood work. Get some revenge on that Locust...

What I started out with... One knot slipped by!

After a bunch of random cutting with the band saw... I didn't take a picture of the rough cut. It was a mess...

I took Scott's advice, and made a draw knife. I used a broken hack saw blade, and put a edge on it with the bench grinder. I had made something like this before, but it was for scraping...

After getting rough shape into it. The draw knife worked great!

What it looked like when I called it a night. I added a bit more of a heel to it.

That is where it is at, and where it will stay until it drys out more. I have never done this sorta stuff before. I normally work with metal. Done plenty of framing, but never shaping wood. the shape was simply going off of what I picture in my mind as the shape a hammer should be. Funny how I can do this, but couldn't draw it to save my life...

Better pictures tomorrow!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Getting Revenge On A Black Locust (Making a hammer handle)

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Funny how I can do this, but couldn't draw it to save my life...
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Outside of technical drawing I'm largely useless...but give me a 3D object to shape into the thing I want and I can do that just fine.

Handle's coming along well. Always great to see something go from (truly) raw materials to final product.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I <3 misc projects.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Outside of technical drawing I'm largely useless...but give me a 3D object to shape into the thing I want and I can do that just fine.

Handle's coming along well. Always great to see something go from (truly) raw materials to final product.
    Now I gotta let this sucker dry out... I have the ends sealed with paint, and it is setup under a fan. They say months is a good drying time... I'm gonna give it a couple weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I <3 misc projects.
    Definitely some cool stuff in this section! It is where I spend most of my time here.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10