Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Black Border Around Display

  1. #11
    The User DemonDragonJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    outside the net, inputting games for pleasure
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: Black Border Around Display

    Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    I would uninstall the video driver for the MB...and all other video drivers that might still be installed. Remove CCC. Install and run CCleaner, specifically the registry cleaner. *Don't forget to backup the registry before doing so. It should prompt you.* Download the latest driver and CCC setup from here. Install them and let us know if it's working. Then play some games.
    To be certain, I can uninstall the drivers through the Device Manager, can I not? I noticed that when I removed my old video card from my computer, the motherboard's video chipset appeared as a device, despite having never been present prior to that, and after I installed my new video card, the onboard video again disappeared, so I hope that locating and removing the drivers for the old video card and the motherboard's integrated video shall not be too difficult of a task. I am familiar with CCleaner, and use it on a regular basis on my computer to keep it free of unnecessary files and registry entries, so using it shall likely be one of the least difficult stages of this entire process.

    Also, would it be best to perform this operation in Windows safe mode, so that no unnecessary programs are loaded and the drivers that I need to remove are not being used? Finally, as a side note, if I were to upgrade my sound card, should I remove the drivers for the old sound card before installing the new sound card, as I shall do with my video card?

    Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    By the way, DVI (I forget which flavor specifically) and HDMI are the same digital signal...just different connectors. So if you can't get it to work for whatever reason, no big deal, just keep the DVI and buy a new HDTV for that unused HDMI cable...no sense in letting it go to waste!
    Yes, that is true, but the connectors on DVI cable that I have are bulky in size and a shade of white that I find to be unattractive (an off-white, not a pure white, which I would not find to be unattractive), while the connectors on the HDMI cable are sleek, smooth, and black and red in color, which I find to be far more aesthetically appealing. Plus, I wish to support this new connection standard, to help it become more widely adopted.

    Now, as one final question, what may have caused Catalyst Control Center to stop functioning originally? I wish to avoid causing the problem to occur again, if I need to re-install Windows when I upgrade to a different motherboard and processor in the future.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

    "Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

  2. #12
    Mentally Underclocked mDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Black Border Around Display

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    ... I hope that locating and removing the drivers for the old video card and the motherboard's integrated video shall not be too difficult of a task. I am familiar with CCleaner, and use it on a regular basis on my computer to keep it free of unnecessary files and registry entries, so using it shall likely be one of the least difficult stages of this entire process.
    Use Driver Sweeper to remove unnecessary drivers and CCleaner to remove registry trash. They're both very simple tasks.

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Also, would it be best to perform this operation in Windows safe mode, so that no unnecessary programs are loaded and the drivers that I need to remove are not being used?
    Yes, that is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Finally, as a side note, if I were to upgrade my sound card, should I remove the drivers for the old sound card before installing the new sound card, as I shall do with my video card?
    Yes. It's not as much of a concern as it was in the days of yore, but it's still a good idea to remove unnecessary drivers to keep potential conflicts to a minimum. A couple years ago I had some outdated video drivers that somehow screwed up when I installed the new one over it...I had no onboard video and thus no video at all. It wasn't fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Now, as one final question, what may have caused Catalyst Control Center to stop functioning originally? I wish to avoid causing the problem to occur again, if I need to re-install Windows when I upgrade to a different motherboard and processor in the future.
    Who knows... AMD/ATI and nVidia are notorious for bad drivers and support software. They don't have any other competition so they can get away with releasing lousy drivers and patches. When it breaks, just uninstall it and get the latest version...or the last known working version. If that doesn't work, you'll have to google for a solution.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Black Border Around Display

    Had to register in order to help.

    When I reinstalled my windows, at first the Catalyst Control Center would not open up. After installing latest .NET it began working again. So maybe you should check that you have the latest .NET installed.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa496123

    About the black border. Go to Catalyst Control Center, "My Digital Flat-Panels", scaling options. Adjust the overscan parameter so that the black border disappears and hit apply.
    Overscan is some old thing that comes from how CRT displays used to work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •