Thread: I need something odd...

Default I need something odd...

Does anyone know where to get a rheostat that can control 90w @ close to 8 amps? I need it to control my fans for the CPU rad I'm about to add to my main system, and the fans aren't attached to the PSU, they're on a separate DC power supply. I need to be able to turn them down for gaming and up for OCing, but a single knob (or two knobs, either way) is what I'm after.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Default Re: I need something odd...

i would just opt for a 5v, 7v or 12v switch setup. standard switch would do just fine.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

The issue with that is some fans decide to tick, hum or squeal when left at one of those settings, and it's easy on the knob to turn them to something that sounds right, whereas a few positions ultimately end up with compromises.

I'm using fans that have their own DC power brick. I think I can stand the complexity.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I just saved two rheos today from the scrap heap that are pretty beefy let me run the numbers and if you can use them I will have them out within a week in a flat rate box free o charge.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

just ran the numbers one is a 2 watt and the other is not of enough importance to even mention, sorry I couldn't help otherwise.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”