Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This was unexpected...

Default Re: This was unexpected...

"The fireman said that sometimes cars just catch on fire" lol, yeah, wtf is that supposed to mean?

So what was the actual source of flame, the spark which ignited this mess? Electrical failure, vented battery hydrogen, what? Does this recall-defect you mention cause any electrical arcing?

Just curious, what was the ambient temp outside between about 8AM and 10:30ish that morning? Do you live somewhere like Arizona where the concrete boils off the roads at noon?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

From what I have gathered of the actual issue it goes a little something like this...

There is a pressure switch located in the brake reservoir. When you press down on the brake pedal the reservoir builds pressure and activates the switch. The switch is there to disengage the cruise control when you press on the brake pedal. So.. the switch is separated from the brake fluid by a thin film. Over time this film can develop cracks and that will allow brake fluid to seep into the switch. Once the fluid contacts the switch it begins to short. When it shorts it builds up heat. Brake fluid is flammable so once it hits the right temp.. viola .. you have an inferno in a matter of minutes. The reason it can happen at any time is the switch has 12V to it at all times, even when the vehicle is not running or a key in the ignition.

I have a copy of the fire report and under cause it states...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Incident Report
    "1997 Ford with engine compartment fully involved and extending into the passenger compartment. Aluminum hood had melted completely off. Car had been parked on side of street for approximately thirteen hours according to owner, who was home at the time. Heaviest fire damage and apparent origin in engine area near firewall on drivers side. Burn pattern consistent with similar fires where cruise control module failed. Used booster line to extinguish."
    It was pretty warm out but definitely not the hot part of the day.. probably high 80's low 90's. Later in the day it was over 105 but that was probably early afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    ah, the infamous ford f150 fire. i think expeditions have that problem too. lots of issues with that happening in people's garages, good thing yours was on the street.

the hood melted because it is/was plastic.
    F150's, Rangers, Explorers, and their Lincoln counterparts from 1993-2004 are at risk from what I have read.

Also the hood was definitely NOT plastic.. there were remnants left and they were metal. I just never realized it was aluminum. I had some hail damage fixed on the hood back in 05, most plastics wouldn't suffer from hail damage much less work with the paintless dent removal.

They finally hauled it off on Wednesday a week after it burned. I have no idea what took them so long. The damage adjuster said its totaled but hasn't come back with a price yet. The have a 4 page form that I have been filling out that has a ridiculous amount of stuff to dig up.. some of it is pretty normal information but stuff like.. taxes paid!?!? It was 14 years ago.. I just know it was less then I am going to pay now a days!

GEEZ! that really sucks.
    good thing that nobody was in it. and it didn't set your lawn/house on fire too

good think it wasnt parked in the garage.(if you have one)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I say don't replace it - keep the check to pay for CES 2012 - then demand a company vehicle from your employer - everyone wins heh!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Wow, just saw this. That really sucks, but I'm glad nobody was hurt. Good luck with the insurance company.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Hey!

Least you can get a Prius now.

Everytime I read that, I can just see your face and hear your reaction lol.

I'd be sad if any of my rides went up like that. That sucks man Did insurance pay it out I hope?

My wifes uncle has that same truck (same color too) and can't get that fixed because the dealer here can't get the parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Well Its been 3 weeks from today, and the insurance company wrote me a check. I am really pleased with them. They said since the fire was caused by a mechanical defect and not vandalism, they waived my deductible. I was shocked to say the least. They gave me just shy of $6000 for it, which is more then enough for a down payment on some thing else. So of course the insurance office is literally RIGHT NEXT door to 2 car dealerships and within a mile of 10 more. So I didn't make it very far...

I pretty much got one of my dream cars. It's a little dark outside, but rest assured I will get better pics soon!
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 09-21-2011 at 11:43 PM.