Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: free windows 8 preview...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: free windows 8 preview...

*epic facepalm*

(click pic for source)
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Lmao.

Custom Title Honors

hahahahaha

...all I want to do is play minesweeper. come on Microsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Custom Title Honors

i got my ram in for my win 8 machine on friday. but haven't loaded it up yet.

I am downloading it now. Probably will give it a test drive on my i7 rig since somehow my windows 7 install got corrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

I played around with it for a little but wasn't to impressed. I found that on a traditional PC the Metro Interface wasn't good for anything except getting in the way and squandering productivity. I don't even think it's THAT pretty. It's not bad, but not like staring in to the eye's of an Angel or something that would make me applaud this radical paradigm shift.

I spent 5% of my time trying to figure out what the less than intuitive metro apps each did, then the other 95% of my time playing around with the actual desktop view.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Couple of strange issues I've found with Windows 8 maybe some people here have found a way around it by now...

1st. The desktop version of IE10 and the Metro version are different, as anyone running the Dev Preview should know. The issue I've found is that, if you change your default browser, then click on the tile to launch the metro browser it will not launch the metro version of IE10 but instead goes to the desktop and launches the Desktop Version of IE10. This behavior baffles me.
    It would make sense if it was at least trying to load your default browser but it seems that it just disables the Metro Version of IE10.

2nd. Closing Metro Apps doesn't seem to close them. The only way I have found to exit them is with ctrl-esc. This would normally be fine as they supposedly go in to a suspended mode and stop hogging resources but I've noticed with apps that have any sort of sound that once they close the sound continues to play. This seems to indicate that the app is still running in the background.
    I should be able to close these apps completely without going through the tast manager and furthermore if they are not in focus It seems they should stop playing sounds.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

I'm going to give this a whirl using my parents' old machine which I replaced a couple weeks ago, but turns out the original motherboard is heat-fried, so looks like I'm either going to have to go hunting for a Socket 775 motherboard. Pretty sure I've got a spare (if I haven't sold/loaned it out).

Why run this Windows 8 preview on an ancient Pentium D w/2GB DDR2? Frankly, I want to test performance with older hardware; I'm curious about the demands the Metro interface will put on an older system in terms of graphics and CPU usage.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Custom Title Honors

finally loaded it up last night and so far i hate it with all my heart.

i don't like having to click on windows explorer just bring up a regular desktop. then i don't like that if you close the explorer window it shoves you back into metro. which is way uglier than windows 3.1 ever was. then i can't figure out how to get out of metro ie10 without going into the task manager.

so, does anyone know what is supposed to be better about windows8 other than the metro interface?