Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: If you think liquid cooling is boring...

Default Re: If you think liquid cooling is boring...

All right, heads up.

A few announcements.

Argentum Solar will be coming back. Yes, my nanofluid still lives.

Mayhem is helping me sort my fluid, whatever he says about the end product goes.

Cerenkov will be accelerated to the fore. Nobody has this stuff. Nobody. However, it'll take a good bit of testing.

Those I have spoken to about testing know how that's going. Generally, I'm going to guinea pig in my systems first, and assume all liabilities for doing so. When I feel confident, it will start going to my first testers. The toxicity is unacceptable, and I'm going to be reformulating to something like Argentum.

Let the age of fluid innovation begin!
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I nominate that ^^^^^ smiley to be in the TBCS collection.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

The engineer inside me has questions about these pearlescent fluids.

Are those reflective particles metallic? Can they be cycled through magnetic solenoid pumps? Will they separate, precipitate, or solidify if permitted to sit undisturbed for too long? Do they gradually abrade/haze the inner surfaces of transparent plastics? Or aggragate layers (electroplate) onto metals like copper? Are they toxic, mutagenic, smelly, nasty?

In light of your recent PM to me asking about certain substances (which may or may not be the actual ones you finally used in your pretty pearly goop) I also wonder if these fluids are flammable or are corrosive (that is, at least insofar as acting as a reducing agent to break down certain plastics: ie, transparent polymer-rubber tubes).

I know you don't have (or are not yet willing to share) hard numbers, but how does the thermal efficiency compare to plain water or common coolants? Better? Have you determined the vapour point or phase-change behaviour across the expected temp range, and does the fluid (along with these thermal properties) remain homogenous/consistent across these temps?

Are they suited for phase-change (vacuum/compression refrigeration) cooling as well, like a freon-type fluid?

Can the concentration/opacity of pearly particles be increased if a lubricant is added to the mixture, perhaps a superfine PTFE or silicon mix? Are they fine enough to be used in capillary (heat-pipe) cooling systems? And, just curious - for my own demented reasons - have you measured their electrical conductivity?

Um. That's about it lol.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

It's late tonight, but I'll have answers to a lot of those questions on hand for you in the morning. It's another doctor's office day.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Not dead, just busy. Little Snort has a LOT of appointments. There's more info coming, and I picked up some more equipment to test on. Also, I've now nailed a good line on RO water, so I can start to improve the mix.

Patience, friends-we're just getting started this time...

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

No worries bud.

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

I still think liquid cooling is boring... Get that stuff pumping through a 2400rpm fan and you'll have my attention...

I'm running the green fluid now. I'll be posting pics later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    The engineer inside me has questions about these pearlescent fluids.

Are those reflective particles metallic? Can they be cycled through magnetic solenoid pumps? Will they separate, precipitate, or solidify if permitted to sit undisturbed for too long? Do they gradually abrade/haze the inner surfaces of transparent plastics? Or aggragate layers (electroplate) onto metals like copper? Are they toxic, mutagenic, smelly, nasty?

In light of your recent PM to me asking about certain substances (which may or may not be the actual ones you finally used in your pretty pearly goop) I also wonder if these fluids are flammable or are corrosive (that is, at least insofar as acting as a reducing agent to break down certain plastics: ie, transparent polymer-rubber tubes).

I know you don't have (or are not yet willing to share) hard numbers, but how does the thermal efficiency compare to plain water or common coolants? Better? Have you determined the vapour point or phase-change behaviour across the expected temp range, and does the fluid (along with these thermal properties) remain homogenous/consistent across these temps?

Are they suited for phase-change (vacuum/compression refrigeration) cooling as well, like a freon-type fluid?

Can the concentration/opacity of pearly particles be increased if a lubricant is added to the mixture, perhaps a superfine PTFE or silicon mix? Are they fine enough to be used in capillary (heat-pipe) cooling systems? And, just curious - for my own demented reasons - have you measured their electrical conductivity?

Um. That's about it lol.
    All right, from the top.

No.

Yes, If you mean the DC pumps we use in the PC watercooling industry. If you mean the MHD pumps for liquid gallium loops, no.

Yes, to a point. No dispersant I've tested is perfect (or permanent) but it goes back into solution immediately upon water motion.

Testing is ongoing. At this point, I'm inclined to say no.

No.

A whole bunch of nos.

Neither corrosive or flammable.

First tests are within 2-3 degrees C. Worse than distilled, but well within acceptable for a premix.

I have, and it does, but that's going to be a problem to randomly publish. I'll PM you later.

No, as it stays a solid in suspension, so a phase-change type setup will really wreak havoc on it.

One is included by necessity to keep them suspended. The lubricant/surfactant is a known food safe additive. There is a saturation point, but up to that differing amounts produce wildly varied effects.

Possibly so, being 20-40nm in size.

Anything added to distilled will change it to being conductive. This fluid is no exception. However, the base is generally nonconductive. Triboelectrically it's kinda fun though.

Appreciate the questions, keep them coming. There's a LOT of testing going on over here. Luthien has the first prototypical loop running with a version of Flare that's almost been obsoleted. I have a version on my desk that goes form opaque to clear (tinted purple-blue) depending on light sources and is as safe as Kool-Aid, unless you're a diabetic.