Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 75 Volvo Station wagon Stomping On a 5 Series Beamer.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: 75 Volvo Station wagon Stomping On a 5 Series Beamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    In laymans terms if you are throwing black smoke you are wasting fuel. As far as being pointless it is all a difference in preference and opinion.
    So does that imply that tuned "properly" you could still extract the same power without all the wasted fuel on one of these bad boys or is the wasted fuel part of the engine design?
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    So does that imply that tuned "properly" you could still extract the same power without all the wasted fuel on one of these bad boys or is the wasted fuel part of the engine design?
    From my knowledge yes. Inherently though with some performance modifications there is always going to be wasted fuel. It is more evident in diesel because it rolls black smoke where as in gas motors its not nearly as evident because it is a white or almost invisible puff of carbon smoke. But there are a lot of turbo diesel vehicles that have been highly modified that don't roll smoke.

here is a decent example

Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

found an even better one with no smoke at all
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Yes, smoke = unburnt fuel and means you need to lean it out a tad or get a bigger turbo. Most hillbillies/uneducated oilheads think smoke=win. There is actually a thing called a smoke switch, so that if your truck doesn't smoke, you can flip a switch and make it smoke. Horrible.

Properly tuned diesels make just as much power with no smoke. See the video below. Bank's Power makes some of the best diesel addons, and with NO SMOKE. This vid is Banks setting a NHDRA world record 1/4 mile in a twin-turbo Duramax. Pure win. Kids will learn smoke = NOOB one day

And as fara s doing it just to have one, yea it's pointless in a way. But so are all the kids in the hood with their souped-up ricers Hell I've smoked ricers with my 99 1/2-ton truck that's got over 160k on her. But to do it with a big, rusty rattly diesel is all the more fun

Custom Title Honors

i also agree that the big diesel trucks are pointless unless you have a real world need for something that big. and yeah i also feel the same way about pretty much any souped up car. but that doesn't stop me from dumping stupid amounts of money into my car to make it better - faster - funner, etc.

anyway, the trucks are faster in the 1/4 mile not from horse power but from stupidly high amounts of torque right off throttle.

but what really annoys me about the diesel trucks around here is that everyone that has one seems to think that just because they have a turbo all of a sudden they are a high performance nissan gtr. they like to rev the **** out of em at every chance they get and as most educated people know, diesels don't like being rev-ed much past 3000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    And as fara s doing it just to have one, yea it's pointless in a way. But so are all the kids in the hood with their souped-up ricers Hell I've smoked ricers with my 99 1/2-ton truck that's got over 160k on her. But to do it with a big, rusty rattly diesel is all the more fun
    I'm not gonna say its any more pointless than Kids with there tuners. *looks out the window at my car with shame* Just different strokes for different folks i guess. I suppose I would just personally like to see less trucks and SUVs on the road. Smoking Ricers in ANY old beater is fun, hence the original video post.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    but what really annoys me about the diesel trucks around here is that everyone that has one seems to think that just because they have a turbo all of a sudden they are a high performance nissan gtr. they like to rev the **** out of em at every chance they get and as most educated people know, diesels don't like being rev-ed much past 3000 rpm.
    I haven't seen that, What annoys me about them is that it seems like most people in my area that have one, drive like tools. I suppose it's an unfair judgement to make but I've been cut off/almost hit a number of times by large diesel trucks. My old car was like a tin can so it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience having a lifted heavy duty truck run me off the road.

Custom Title Honors

i don't know where you live, but here in red-neck central, they like to drive right down the middle of the road, yes even when there are yellow lines. maybe it's just my area that has an abundance of extremely stupid people. and they say virginians are back woods rednecks, just come a little further north to maryland and you'll see real rednecks and just a bit further to pennsyltucky and you get to see real honest to goodness hillbillies.

Pennsyltucky! You nailed it lol.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Oh hell guys - you better start running now - my wife is from PA and she won't like that one bit heh...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Oh hell guys - you better start running now - my wife is from PA and she won't like that one bit heh...
    the only thing i saw in pennsyltucky was common law wedded cousins, a harley davidson plant, and a lot of overpriced ****.