Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 73 monte carlo build up.

Default 73 monte carlo build up.

Hello everyone it has been a good bit since i have posted anything. Sorry about that , I have been hard at work working on my 73 monte carlo that i got back in may. I planned all along to start a work log but life just got in the way. So here it is my official work log for my monte carlo build up.

I have had this car since May, 15, 2011. Im very excited about it, I have done a good bit on the car so far in such a short amount of time. When i say a good bit i think its a good bit for someone who is doing this by himself with no help and basic knowledge of cars. I don't ever plan on restoring the car back to its original part completely. I want this to be a one of a kind something that I put together and built my self. It has been a child hood dream come reality. Now for some pictures of when I got it in may.

She looks gorgeous right?Wrong that is what I thought as well. i got her home and lets just say at some closer inspection most of the truck was actually rotted away and so are the wheel wells and some parts of the cab. This car was restored and fixed once back in the 90s. more pics of what it used to look like tomorrow. I will update with more of what I have done tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: 73 monte carlo build up.

you have a hell of a lot of work ahead of you. but having btdt, i can say that there are few things that are more satisfying than completing a project like this.

good luck and keep the pics coming.

The first thing i did when I got the car was rip the fender/hood off of it. I stripped the whole front end off of it. The core support and bushing had to be replaced. I then started the sanding process. Then it was primed. Sanding a car sucks I wouldn't recommend it. Here are a few pics of what I did.

front clip off.

I used a paint remover on this fender. That stuff is very messy and tarnished the metal a good bit. But it got the paint off rather quickly.

then everything got primied.

Here is the state the car is currently in.

If you look closely you can see that the ac is completely gone. I dont need a ac so i ripped it out.

patched a few holes in the cab.

i need to patch a lot more.

ill post more pictures this upcoming week end. hope you guys enjoy seeing my rust bucket.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Looks like someone took it to a demolition derby....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Wouldn't it be better to just cut out the rusted parts and put a new plate in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to just cut out the rusted parts and put a new plate in?
    I would hope that is what he was doing. Cutting out the rot, and welding in new metal. If you plate over rust, you'll be in worse shape in a couple years.

Car is looking good Blaze. Seems like you are doing good so far! Don't forget the three most important areas when you are replacing parts! Steering components (Tie rod ends, etc), brakes (Lines, hoses, brake cylinders, calipers, pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and a master cylinder flush), and fuel lines/filter. Although, you may consider a tank fuel tank, and straps while you are at it. Working on these old cars stirs every last piece of crap in the tank. You'll be replacing fuel filters once a week, for the rest of your life...

If you need any advice on working around the drive train, post up. Old GM is what I do...
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Replacing fuel filters...

We had to do that every so often on our pickup because both tanks were empty when some kids decided to siphon gas; in revenge, they poured sand into a tank.
    Nobody knew it had happened until they filled up the tanks the following morning.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

i had to put a new tank in the car but from what i can tell by moving it around the block the brakes are fine the fuel lines aren't rotted or worn. just so you guys know i am cutting the old rust away and laying new metal over it.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Something to consider is that brake, and fuel lines can, and often do rot from the inside out. I've replaced lines that look fine on the outside, but if you hold a light up to the side wall, and look inside you see pin holes from internal rot.

I'd be willing to gamble with hard lines, but I would replace soft brake hoses, calipers, cylinders, shoes/pads, and if you can find a place to do it turn the rotors/drums. I'd rather turn old iron, then deal with new parts.

You should easily be able to replace these parts around, or under $100.

Just don't forget the steering. Check the TRE's for tightness, and the steering box for abnormal play.

All these are key points to my truck build. I ended up replacing one TRE, and so far I have cleaned the master cylinder on the brakes. This weekend I'm running a passenger front hardline, and need to get some large line for the rear. Fuel lines are getting redone with 1/2, and 3/8 aluminum. I'll run the most ghetto looking junk around, but if my SO needs to run down to the store, I want to make sure she'll get there safely.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Something to consider is that brake, and fuel lines can, and often do rot from the inside out. I've replaced lines that look fine on the outside, but if you hold a light up to the side wall, and look inside you see pin holes from internal rot.
    that's very true. i had an old golf that needed a hard line replaced and when i touched it, the one next to it broke and i could see all the rot inside. long story short, i ended up having to replace all the hardlines.