Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 73 monte carlo build up.

Default Re: 73 monte carlo build up.

A GM Performance ZZ383 is the way to go for a crate 383. Doesn't matter where you get it.

Granted, 383's aren't my thing. If I wanted a longer stroke engine, I'd go after finding a 427 to rebuild.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    A GM Performance ZZ383 is the way to go for a crate 383. Doesn't matter where you get it.

Granted, 383's aren't my thing. If I wanted a longer stroke engine, I'd go after finding a 427 to rebuild.
    id love a big block in this thing but i cant afford the whole conversion process.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blaze15301 View Post
    id love a big block in this thing but i cant afford the whole conversion process.
    are you getting a crate motor?

or are you going to do it like a real man and rebuild that engine up yourself?

I mean can't you bore out iron blocks like whats in that to ridiculous sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    are you getting a crate motor?

or are you going to do it like a real man and rebuild that engine up yourself?

I mean can't you bore out iron blocks like whats in that to ridiculous sizes?
    You priced a machine shop these days? It ain't like the old days. For anything short of a race car, a crate is a very sensible option. Very competitive pricing with a shade tree rebuild, and you get a warranty. I don't warranty my own work to myself.

For a SB chebby, you really don't want to go more then .030" over for normal use, although .060" isn't out there. Past that, you get into strength, and other issues. Or, you just go right into a water jacket... By no means ridiculous numbers, though.

How most people get the extra cubes on small blocks is through the use of a longer stroke crank. Namely, the same stroke as a 400SB. If you put a 400 stroke length crank in a 350, you get a 377ci. Bore it .030" over, you get a 383. The only problem with this is you normally have to grind the block to clear the rods, and 90% of the time you go right into the water jackets, which can such to fix...

I'm not into strokers. Mainly cause I like higher RPM's, and when you start taking a long stroke engine in the 5500k+ range, the rods try to escape... Which is why I want to build a 302 that'll spin to 10k in its sleep. Yummy.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Custom Title Honors

after building my turbo ford engine, i have come to the conclusion that i like low end low rpm torque. honestly, i could give a doo-doo about anything past 4 or 5 grand, but i want everything under 3000 rpm. so to me a stroker engine sounds like a good idea. that's what i love about my supra - max torque at 2400 rpm. but then it's done by 3500 rpm.

in retrospect, i'd [probably like diesels a whole lot if they weren't such heavy engines.

It all depends on what you want to do with your car, straight line as fast as you can a super charger makes sense. You want a motocross or road type course car a supercharger begins to make more sense or even a dual turbo setup.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Custom Title Honors

yup, you have to figure out what you want tp use it for first, then build to that end. i've seen many a car guy fall by the wayside because they didn't have a plan to begin with and ended up with an undrivable and not fun car. then they get parted out.

just remember, bigger is't always better, sometimes it's just bigger. also, don't get all sparkly eyed about "full on race parts" a lot of times they aren't the best choice for a street car.

oh, and one last suggestion, make sure everything is running right before you start modifying stuff.

Just so everyone knows this is really making me want to drop the tuneport 350 in the blazer ASAP
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Well guys i thought i would give you all a nice little update. As far as the engine performance goes, I will defiantly be buying a crate motor for 2 reasons. 1 because i have no experience rebuilding motors and 2 because a crate is cheaper and comes with a warranty. I am not sure 100% what motor i want yet i just know i want at least 400 - 500 hp. When i go i want the front tires to lift. Sorry i haven't been updating i haven't done much but dropped the gas tank i just got my welder back today along with a nice little surprise ill post some pics of all that a bit later tho. So if you guys have any suggestions let me know. I am all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Custom Title Honors

well, if you want front tire lifting power, you don't want to be concerned too much about horsepower. you want to look at torque. horse power is just a calculation of torque and rpms. so you could easily make that 4 or 500 hp at say, 7000 rpm, but have not enough low end torque to get out of your own way.

remember, tune for torque because torque is fun!