Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop randomly shutting off

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Laptop randomly shutting off

In all seriousness, what should I get as far as the processor goes?

Although, anyone have any idea where a compatibility list is????
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

compatibility list for a laptop.... foget about it.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

So, get the processor; if it doesn't work, hopefully return, or eBay?

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    So, get the processor; if it doesn't work, hopefully return, or eBay?
    tried long ago after getting one of the best laptops on the market to see what i could do to improve it and found out very quickly that there pretty much was nothing I could do except a graphics card upgrade. Find a processor that is the same as yours with maybe better clockspeeds if you want to upgrade but you have to make sure it will match the motherboard. There is a reason most people don't scratch build laptops, its not economical and most times isn't feasible. As car as your heat concerns a good cleaning and replacing of thermal paste and maybe a new heatsink from the manufacturer may be the best you can do.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

I have read reviews, saying that they had Core (2?) Duos in my family of laptops.

May not provide a HUGE improvement, but, once I have spare cash, I'm willing to try.

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

Please correct if wrong but I didn't see an actual model listed, just the manufacturer.

For my DV6000, I was able to look up the spec list, it gave all the processors used in that model line. If it isn't already the top of the line for that model, you could probably get whatever is (assuming they didn't switch between amd and intel) with a larger chance of success.

I like intels spec sheet of their processors. If it is an intel proc, just do a google search of it and find the ark.intel.com... link, it will tell you the socket type, cores, threads and most importantly thermal rating plus some other specs you may or may not find useful. I would do this for the current and new processor to make sure they work together.

If you are already having heat issues, I would be concerned about a higher performing processor possibly having a higher thermal rating. If it doesn't, you should be OK if everything else lines up. You may also have to do a bios update (if not already current) for it to work to spec.

I think some of the Toshibas were effected with a few models including the one I'm working on now in another thread (that you've helped on, thank you btw lol). In some cases a small shim is used which helps apply a solid pressure over a thermal pad that was used. I am not sure if this is your case but may be something to look into just in case.

Good Luck,
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

It's a Celeron M 420.

here
    Google lead me here. This lead me two three options for the chipsets it supports. However, one of them was a no-go, because on Toshiba site, it says that the max supported RAM was 4GB. Another a no-go, because I have an S-Video Out. That leaves one here.

Big procy compatibility list! Woot! +rep for you, you Outlaw!
    *Ehhh, I've given you too much appparently.....

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

Thanks. glad to help!

But I think something doesn't look right. That last here for Intels site points to a chipset, not a cpu. What is the model of the laptop? I couldn't see why there isn't a couple processors compatible with your laptop, it would just be finding the one you want to spend money on.

Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

It points to my chipset.

On the left is a button that says "compatible products", AKA, CPUs.

Lazy man's button

Well, the one I would like (but realistically/logically impossible) is this one. Way out of current budget.

Ah well, now I have links.

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

If you did get that cpu, I would watch out for the thermal rating. Your CPU is 27W, that one is 34W.

How is the heatpipe routed in your latptop? Does it come from the CPU across the CHP then to the fan, or is there 2 separate pipes? I only ask to see if it could even handle the extra heat or maybe the heat issue is similar to the HP models from years ago.

Why not lower the CPU to get? Any dual core is going to be quite a bit faster and may save you a bunch of money.

Good Luck,
    Outlaw