Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Haha, I could only imagine.

Arriving at LAN
    Me: Hey guys, I brought my laptop.
    Friends: That's cool but what's in the suit case? This event is only a couple hours.
    Me: My phase change cooler. Oh and by the way, I need my own breaker.

lol. I would like to explore more into water cooling as I only wiggled my toes in it when I got my H50. Other then the dust accumulating on the RAD like a sheet of paper, it's definitely proved worth it imo.

Plus, if the cooling part even went through, this would be my first real mod.

Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Shut up and take my money!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

Thanks. I did actually come across that while searching earlier this morning. Definitely cool.

My hopes if possible, would be to cool both CPU and GPU, plus keep all ports open for use which is where the cooler pad comes into play. I would be looking for something that would more blend in with the crowd until you get up to it and go is that a reservoir in the cooler pad, then find its water cooled.

It does make it slightly less portable having the cooler permanently attached to the laptop, but 99% of most laptops should have one under them any way imo.

Most of the games I play (CSS, FC2, Sims3, MW2) aren't too graphically demanding so I think this mod would be more of an aesthetics build. Might have to see what a sheet of aluminum goes for around here. If I can build a pad, I could get more room for maybe a battery pack to run everything for an hr or 2 if lucky.... oh noes... lost in more dreams!

Thanks for the link
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Hmm, if youre using a cooling pad under it, that could give you a lot more freedom, you could use small waterblocks on the cpu and gpu with the intake/output nozzles going straight down, into the cooling pad? then you wouldn't need such large holes in the bottom of the laptop, so most things would still be fine I'd think. could put 90 degree adapters right on them so you wouldn't need bends in the tubing really, then res and pump and rad inside the cooling pad? Of course, that wouldn't reveal that it's watercooled when you got up to leave though

EDIT: maybe use some quick-disconnects so you could remove the cooling pad for travel? would be easier to store it in 2 pieces then just connect and play

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

We are on the same page. lol

I originally got the idea from seeing the evercool cooling pad HERE.

The GPU cooler I had picked on the first page would have been a downward inlet/outlet while the CPU cooler could go both ways (lol). I don't even know that they would fit but based off the mounting, they looked to be the closest without having to use "straps" or some fabricating which I have almost no background in and absolutely no space to do it in even if I did. I think I could get away with doing the pad in a sheet or couple as I could probably just use snips to cut it and sand paper to smooth it out.

With the res/pump, I would hope to have a cutout to at least show the water level, as well as a fill port. And if I got really carried away, maybe somewhere for temp sensors and a readout.

another question, how big does a laptop have to be before it just becomes a 'portable desktop'? lol

Good thinking with the quick disconnects. I was just looking to mount the laptop to the pad to prevent separation.
    Outlaw

Well, a couple of things come to mind:
    For the reservoir, could mount it at the back of the cooling pad (e.g., the higher end) so that you can see it, use an acrylic one, something like http://goo.gl/uUUsp

Aren't all good laptops just portable desktops?

With the quick disconnects, you'd need to have some give in the tubing, so that you could lift up the laptop a few inches so you could reach the disconnects. I don't think that would really be a huge issue unless you're using huge tubing in a small cooling pad lol.

EDIT: Looking back at that res, it would work really well lol, on its side its only 1.5" tall, which isnt unreasonable at all for a cooling pad, and it has intakes for filling on both top and bottom so you could use that as a fill/drain port, out the side of the cooling pad

Myrmidon

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

If you got an extended-life battery, that could help prop it up a bit.

Just worked on a DV6000 today myself that had one.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    Well, a couple of things come to mind:
    For the reservoir, could mount it at the back of the cooling pad (e.g., the higher end) so that you can see it, use an acrylic one, something like http://goo.gl/uUUsp

Aren't all good laptops just portable desktops?

With the quick disconnects, you'd need to have some give in the tubing, so that you could lift up the laptop a few inches so you could reach the disconnects. I don't think that would really be a huge issue unless you're using huge tubing in a small cooling pad lol.

EDIT: Looking back at that res, it would work really well lol, on its side its only 1.5" tall, which isnt unreasonable at all for a cooling pad, and it has intakes for filling on both top and bottom so you could use that as a fill/drain port, out the side of the cooling pad
    If I used a prebuilt pad, I wonder if the one you linked would work since I would then need an external pump too. The one I had linked was a pump/res combo.

Tubing wise, I was looking at 1/4". I could find a way to secure the tube to the pad so I wouldn't have to worry about moving the tubing for the disconnects. I think it would be small tubing in a small cooling pad base.

Aside from service, what other reason for the quick disconnect would there be? I wouldn't want to run it like that, at least not very long.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    If you got an extended-life battery, that could help prop it up a bit.

Just worked on a DV6000 today myself that had one.

I do not have one, its just the standard one which is dead. lol I did look at them and do have a friend and family member with a laptop and the extended battery and they are decent. I wonder what the life would be running the pump with standard power settings.

Thanks for all the input so far!
    Outlaw

lol... if you need a radiator hit me up, i have a bunch laying around due to some upgrades for customers. I have some compression fittings that would work well for a laptop too.
    Not dead yet

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quick-disconnects...

For built-in rad.

And for "dock" cooler.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta