Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    Couple things come to mind:

I'm a bit confused as to how you'd get just one set of quick disconnects would work for both blocks If you wanna make a quick paint sketch or something to clarify that'd be cool

That drain port is for bigger tubing, check the danger den website lol. you may be better off with something like this, it also eliminates your need for a T http://goo.gl/AyJIp

Next, I'm not quite sure of your work area/tool situation, but you could probably save quite a bit on tubing/reducers if you simply cut off the pre-existing barbs and tapped it with G1/4 threads. I'm sure someone on these forums could easily help you out with that

For power wise, if you can get decent flow with that tiny pump, remember how guy before just wired it up to usb? that would eliminate your need for a second psu If it doesn't, theres gotta be some way you could (either off the laptop or the psu) splice a molex connecter in there somewhere

And yeah, that temp lcd would be cool

Blue is the tube between cpu/gpu, the quick connects would just thread one to each block. Hope that helps clear it up. I know my paint skills are top notch. lol

With the drain port, it just seemed cheaper to use the larger one, lol. I think it would be cleaner with one like you linked though and might be cheaper in the end. Thanks.

Unfortunately, If I want to even have access to a modding area, I would have to drive about 20miles to get there. I'm not sure if a 1/4 tap is available either so that would be a 1 and done purchase. I could just bump to a 80x1 or 80x2 which has interchangeable barb option. Overall, I might just because the fans suck for 40mm, mostly high rpm/db with low air movement.

For power.. I wouldn't be too concerned for the wiring side I guess, more so what the actual laptop draw percent of the 90W is. If it was 80W peek under load, I would do a 2nd power supply or get a larger one to supply everything. The area I really don't have an understanding is the battery. If I "made" a battery pack to run everything for x amount of time, how would that reflect in XP and how would that effect charging/discharging.

Temp readout would probably be the easiest (not necessarily the cheapest) part of this upgrade. lol

Thanks again,
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Shut up and take my money!

From a bit of google magic, best way to find laptop power drain is, surprise, a kill-a-watt on the ac adapter you could use that to find the power of your lappy at load, though since, from more google magic, the laptop appears to support both 65 and 90w power adapters, i think you should have plenty of headroom.

Switching to the 80.1 or 80.2 rads wouldnt be a bad idea, but i would check and see what you've got for clearance on the cooling pad, or how high you'd be willing to raise it.
    Also, I may be blind, but I see no pic But your explanation did clear it up, I didn't think you would route tubing inside the actual laptop is all, instead using 4 quick disconnects, but using 2 does make it neater and easier to remove.

I'm not quite sure how you would make a battery, it might almost be easier to just pick up an extended battery like suggested before, however they do tend to incline laptops a bit and that could make the cooling pad awkward. Things to consider

I think we've made a tad of progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

I don't want to buy a kill a watt meter. lol another probably one and done, maybe 2.

I pm'd you a link. but incase it didn't work for all the other interested peoples. http://i56.tinypic.com/27x2xkm.jpg

I'm not sure if the laptop spacing between the board and case would allow for it to run inside the laptop. I will probably have to change the standard barbs to a 90 or 45 elbow and run it outside. I think it would still be cleaner and less messy then 4 disconnects.

I know from a friends experience you can make battery packs for his rc cars. I would think this is the same concept but on a larger scale. If this were the case I could get higher rated mH cells and it would ultimately make it last longer on battery power. I agree and dont think the extended battery would be good for this project if it were to be raised as high as the referenced cooler pad. If I somehow make the pad, I could rearrange some of the components to allow it to be a little more low profile which could help an extended battery install situation? did that make sense? lol

Agreed, lots of 'thought progress' done overnight.

Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Pic still not working for me, but regardless, can you give me an estimated distance between your two chips? im just curious as to possibilities of linking them..more or less something like http://goo.gl/0MnAd , instead of tubing, might be a bit more secure, or you could use crystal link stuff by bitspower, bit more expensive, and regardless of using tubing or those, i'd definitely make a groove in the cooling pad so that there' s no pressure put on them while its sitting there. If it were me, I'd try to possibly grind/cut out a grove for the pass-through to lay as far embedded in the laptop as it could be, to prevent being knocked loose or anything, and also have the groove in the cooling pad. All depends on the laptop body though, and how the fittings fit

Also, if nothing else, you could squeeze the liquid cooling components into as small of a space as you reasonably could and fill the rest of the cooler+ with the battery pack, always ideas

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

I would say the two chips are a good 6-8 inches apart. I don't think those would work. Good thought though. I would definitely make sure there is clearance for the plumbing underneath, even if that means buying bigger rubber feet for the bottom of the laptop. If its a custom pad, I may not have the tools to notch out the pad.

The bottom of the laptop is flat. Only things extruding from the base is the little rubber feet.

The battery pack would be after the WC project. I think some of the cells can be pretty pricey. ill have to sketch a design for a pad though.

Outlaw

Sweet, let me know whenever you get that sketch done! I think we've covered most of the things I could think of till we see the sketch.

Also, tell your wife I'm sorry for giving you such bad ideas

Good luck!

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

Should have time today or some time during the weekend hopefully.

I'll tell her it's all your fault. haha. But you just encouraged already bad thoughts to be worse.

Thanks,
    Outlaw

Speaking of bad thoughts to worse, under my name and post count, I'm now apparently an ATX Mental Case rofl

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

Haha, congrats!

Good News?
    I have won the bid on a motherboard.
    Ordered the HSF for that board
    Ordered the ribbons for Pwr/QuickPlay
    Ordered 1.2mm shims for chipset

There is a lot of finger crossing going on. I really hope this works. I should have all necessary parts by 11/2 at the latest (skldfjsdlf overseas shipping)

Outlaw

D; no kidding! that's like..forever to wait!

Myrmidon