Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Maybe you should make top and bottom out of aluminum and sides out of acrylic? Then you wouldn't have to worry about scratching the top or bottom, but could get some cool inside views of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

Well have to see how far this goes. I think the acrylic won't be too expensive at the local HW store but the aluminum doesn't look too cheap. lol. One for the other I guess. Might be able to do the front out of acrylic.. that would kinda be cool.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Custom Title Honors

Is there a cheaper cooler with the spec I need? lol. If I can find one like the pic shows below for under 20bucks I think I would be in good shape.

I'm going to keep searching. I think this might actually be a better bet. Even the 20 dollar one is cheaper then a sheet of alum that I would need 2 of as well. Plus the premade is already vented, it would just need some cutting to make room for additions.

EDIT:::

Here is a couple pics unedited (except for flip) of what I am talking about just in case someone wasn't sure.

1. Massive23 CS would be ~5" tall which would be plenty of room for the rad and provide enough head room for extra internal components. The prob is the 15.4" laptop is just over 14" wide and the pad is only 13".

2. Massive 23 ST has the same problem as CS. But it shows what my plan would be to help save "manufacturing" cost.

EDIT2:::

I found one fairly close to the original design. Silverstone Noble Breeze NB01B Notebook Cooler

OR the Cryo LX. It is 16.5" wide which would be nice but to double it up would cost 140. Would have to find a way to make it taller to fit the rad and still make it look nice.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Shut up and take my money!

I like that silverstone one! maybe add 1-2"" on the bottom, put the temp displays right on that front slanted section! If you could get your speaker idea working, you could put it in the sides towards the back, and either keep the mesh or maybe go with acrylic for the sides Lots of possibilities! plus it doesn't look like you'd need to do a whole lot drilling-wise for the QDC's to have access to the pad, with those large fan holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

The only one wide enough without modding would be the Cryo. The Thermaltakes would be perfect to double up but would need to be widened some how to allow for un blocked speakers and sides withe acrylic. If it were the silverstone, I think i would leave the mesh but it would allow for the option as the holes are already done and threaded. That one might be the easiest to add panels to the sides to widen it too. Would just have to find the materials.

All but the Cryo would be good for the hoses as it wouldn't need too heavy duty of cutting tools so I could do this easily. We'll have to see when that time gets closer. Still need to find some other blocks that have the adjustable arms on them. 40 and 60 bucks is what is killing the budget on this loop..

Custom Title Honors

Yey!

Motherboard and Ribbon cables are here. boards are visually an exact match except for hdmi and 8400m. so far so good. Should have heatsink within the next couple days. Shims are still looking to be the 10/26-11/2 though

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Do a dry test of the setup!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

I can't do anything else.

verified the board fits (beside the hdmi port I need to notch out of laptop.)
    verified cables route to proper location

That is really all I can do until I at minimum get the heatsink. I can stick a penny over the chipset at least to test. Then wait for the proper shims to show.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Ohhh..

Heatsink. Just SLIGHTLY important.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

lol. yes.

Unfortunately, the original heatsink doesn't mount the same as this replacement board.