Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: motherboard replacement- DV6000

ETA for heatsink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Custom Title Honors

Today Mother Trucker!! lol Sry, excited.

I should hopefully have some pics up later.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Custom Title Honors

Well. I would consider the swap a success with a couple exceptions.

Exceptions
    1. Still need proper shims (used penny's to test hardware)
    2. CPU still getting really hot per core temp.

Here are some pics and screenshots. If specific pics wanted, please let me know. I still have to pull apart at least 1 more time.

Old and New board:

HSF and Mr Lincoln installed:

Boot test:

Tada!!:

Together.. well except for the keyboard I forgot at home, lol:

The image on there now is actually from about 2 years ago. Surprisingly it loaded without an issue considering it had been sitting out of the PC and I changed the board out. The temp per Core Temp was quite high though so I think I will have to notch out the bottom at least or come up with a few extra bucks to get all the necessary parts for water cooling.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Custom Title Honors

Well. Bad news. After attempting a fresh install of Windows, I lost com with the DVD-Rom. BIOS or Windows doesn't detect. Even when unplugging and plugging back in. It powers up and spins but nothing in comp mgmt. Updated bios to latest version without success. Contacted seller for assistance. I was able to get a better shim then the penny to bring temps way down until it exits power save and bumps up to 1.8ghz, then I quick the app.

Custom Title Honors

Not sure if this needs to be moved to a modding section yet but I may be able (small possibility) to get a single block cut for the CPU, CHP and GPU. Using 1/4" plumbing would give me some routing options in the block as well as into a cooler pad.

Block dimensions: 1/2" thick x 4" wide (at widest point) x 6.5" long (at longest point)

Option 1:
    Pros:
    Would be least "invasive" and only have 1 hole needing a plug leaving fewer risk for leaks.
    Run over CPU and CHP.
    Cons:
    May not be as effective as pulling heat away through water.
    Inlet would come in from battery bay leaving power supply use only.
    1 plugged port leaving risk for leaks

Option 2:
    Pros:
    Move inlet to come from fan bay which is already removed.
    Run over CPU and CHP
    Only 2 plugged ports needed
    Cons:
    2 plugged ports leaving risk for leaks.

Option 3:
    Pros:
    Move inlet to come from fan bay which is already removed.
    Run over CPU and CHP and GPU
    Routed for better exposure to heat sources.
    Cons:
    4 plugged ports leaving risk for leaks

Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,
    Outlaw

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Another option you can consider is a "sandwich" block.

Carve out what you need, and water-proof the rim.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

Thanks.

I did discuss it with him. Finding the block for a reasonable price is going to be key first. He said they usually deal with copper sheets upto ~1/4". Even if I did the sandwich, I would need the bottom block 1/2" to allow for the barbs to secure properly since its going to be a side entrance.

I'm not sure they can do the machining for the channeling though from the top. I can ask tomorrow when I see him at work. He is going to see if they can do option 2 or 3 at work and a ballpark price on the block of copper.

Thanks,
    Outlaw

Custom Title Honors

He said, the block cutout is about $104.... umm... lol hm.. what to do now. lol

Look at still using copper block for water cooling or get the CHP blocks and hope I can cool the CHP properly since the blocks will only cover the CPU and GPU leaving a less then optimal cooling solution as the only way to cool the CHP...

What to do?!
    Outlaw

Custom Title Honors

Well I got a call and text earlier. He was able to make a block out of 1/4" copper for free using scrap. The idea was brought up to run 1/4" copper tubing along the surface, looping it around instead of trying to do all the work inside the block. 1/4" slab of copper I think will definitely be beneficial but the water loop will replace a wimpy 40-60mm fan internally with a 120mm fan/rad mounted somewhere externally and just plan look cooler then some dumb heatsink only. lol

Outlaw

edit:::
    almost forgot the pic. Top is the 1/4" copper, bottom is the cardboard template

edit2:::
    Going to see what kind of loop they can put on top of the block in the morning. In order of preference.

Custom Title Honors

He came into work today with the block.

Block on mobo.

Side View... oh noes BIG Gap!

He's taking it back to make some changes for the mounting holes and hopefully to help lower the gap over the CHP. This block is heavy too! lol

Outlaw