Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: motherboard replacement- DV6000

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: motherboard replacement- DV6000

Awww!

You don't have that 2nd mPCIe slot!

You could've put an SSD into that 2nd slot!

Good luck, though!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

The one next to the wifi? Yeah, that was option I think on the HP's which they didn't use on my series.

I don't think it would be too beneficial, but if I don't get a board working with the DVD-Rom (not 100% necessary as it images perfectly via flashdrive), I will have an opening in the laptop where an SSD could fit. Downside is I don't have the budget for an SSD. Plus if I were going to go SSD, I would make that the primary (current HDD is 160GB @ 5400RPM). I would use the SSD as the primary OS drive and get another 2.5" Sata to USB HDD for storage in teh DVD-Rom slot.

Thanks! I will keep this updated or just wait till it's done. The guy doing the block wants to test the temps without the plumbing to see if there is any real gains to the water cooling loop.

Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Custom Title Honors

Currently waiting on the block to get shaved down at the mounting points so it will sit flush with the chips. Once all is said and done, two tests will be done. 1- 1/4" block only for cooling, 2- block with 1/4" WC block

Also have the mobo out on RMA for the DVD-Rom not detected/working.

While waiting I had a question or few.

1. Should I run 2 of the pumps (KidWind Project Pump). If I calculated right, they are about 32GPH at 5V?
    2. Should I use quick connects at the OE fan grille to allow for laptop remove from cooling pad or just secure laptop to cooling pad?
    3. Do you think this RAD/FAN would be efficient enough?

For the pumps, I wasn't sure if 1 pump would be effecient enough to push through the entire loop on the block plus the Rad. A Res is still up in the air at this point depending on the cooler pad room and mounting options.

Thanks,
    Outlaw

edit:::
    I also now have a TL-62 instead of the oe TL-56. The TL-62 is 2.1Ghz, TL-56- is 1.8Ghz\
    I was also considering bumping (maxing) the RAM out at 4GB.
    If budget allowed, I would also be looking to get a 7200RPM HDD or an SSD but not sure the low disk space to performance would be worth it since the games would need to be installed on the SSD.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Custom Title Honors

Ok. What do you guys think of this HS/F to be used in a WC loop?

LINK

It is an 80mm fan mounted to the HS. The mounting points could give me some alternative options like mounting to back of display with ease so I could run without a pad if desired. It would still take some fabrication of the HS itself to fit the plumbing though. Oh, and it is also 30bucks less!

Thanks,
    Outlaw

Custom Title Honors

i'm not getting how that would be adapted to a WC setup.

Custom Title Honors

The end of the pipes would be cut to accommodate the 1/4" tubing. The Heatpipes are 1/4" OD and copper.

Custom Title Honors

i'm not sure you want to cut those pipes. i don't know what kind of pressures the gasses inside are under or how toxic they are. but you might not want to let them out.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Naw, just simply move the fins and fan separate from the heatpipe, and bend your own personal tubing.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

I have seen other posts where it had been done with other coolers (not that it means it is safe). Plus I don't see how I could remove the heatpipe from the fins and "re-pipe" it where it will be as efficient as the original pipe.

Copied from Wiki
    At the hot interface within a heat pipe, which is typically at a very low pressure, a liquid in contact with a thermally conductive solid surface turns into a vapor by absorbing heat from that surface.

A vacuum pump is used to remove all air from the empty heat pipe, and then the pipe is filled with a fraction of a percent by volume of working fluid (or coolant) chosen to match the operating temperature. Examples of such fluids include water, ethanol, acetone, sodium, or mercury.

The materials chosen depend on the temperature conditions in which the heat pipe must operate, with coolants ranging from liquid helium for extremely low temperature applications (2–4 K) to mercury (523–923 K) & sodium (873–1473 K) and even indium (2000–3000 K) for extremely high temperatures. The vast majority of heat pipes for low temperature applications use some combination of ammonia (213–373 K), alcohol (methanol (283–403 K) or ethanol (273–403 K)) or water (303–473 K) as working fluid.

I am still looking for something to use as the rad and the cpu/chipset cpu's with heatpipes seems like it would be the way to go for cost and efficiency.

::edit::
    I could pull the H50 off my current rig then use the pump and rad in the laptop loop.
    Reference link minus the res.

Thanks,
    Outlaw

Custom Title Honors

Got good news. New board is on it's way back to me.

I will be able to get the heatsink fitted now. Should have it by the end of the week.