Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12" LCD Screen Mod

Lightbulb 12" LCD Screen Mod

Hi there,

I have a space in my new case (built by me) to fit a LCD screen, the area is 7 1/2 by 12 inches. I figure I can get a 12" lcd screen in that gap. The problem is I dont know how it would wire up. I'm guessing it could be given a molex connector for power and a composite for the output.

Here is a screen I have been looking at on fleabay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Now obviously I will have to remove the bezel, etc and just hook up the screen. I have also looked at touch screens so i could maybe have fan controls etc on it.

Any idea how I would convert a mains power lead to a molex? Or maybe I could wire it into a piggyback onto my psu like the asetek waterchill kits do?

Any suggestions or comments would be great.

If I can do it, it will look ace!

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: 12" LCD Screen Mod

First off: Monitors don't run at 5 or 12v DC, they run at 110AC. you'd need an external connector for the power.

Second off: 12" is measured diagonally, so if you have a space that will fit the screen, then go wild.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Fresh Paint

Signal levels in a TFT run significantly lower than 110VAC, and if that TFT is the same as laptop TFT's, the backlight inverter runs off of either 5VDC, 12VDC or chargerVDC (~19). I would honestly de-bezel it and leave it at that (with dress up of course...what's a mod without the pretty?) and run the mains AC plug out the back of your case.

You could technically reduce the unit depth by removing whatever step-down transformer is inside that casing (a direct IEC conn. on the back says internal transformer to me anyway) and wiring the backside of the bridge to a Molex...But you'll need a 'scope and a good DMM to track down the whole layout before you go and power it up. On top of that, you'll need the true amp load of the display to see if your PS will take the increase in load. etc, etc, etc (I could go on like this for a while...)
    Read: Listen to Omega. Run the IEC out the back of the case. Heck, put a grommet on it, and dress it up a bit even...
    Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
    -Thomas Jefferson

well, folks my screen arrived today,Yippee!

Slight problem though. no power lead at all. have to find a dc 12v /3a adapter that will fit or maybe make something from maplins.

Took the lcd out of it's case and just did a quick mount in my pc.

It's gunna look cool. I will post a pic or two later on.

Any ideas on the power lead?

Thanks

Ok, some pics,

Side On View (excuse the wiring)
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/p1010053.jpg

Front View (again excuse wiring)
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/p1010054.jpg

The Screen
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/p1010055.jpg

Where its Going. Rough shot
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/p1010056.jpg

Now all of this will be covered with glossy black plexi and it will be watercooled, the cd drives will be steatlhed and painted so all i will see is plexi, then when i open it the (painted tray) will slide out.

Overclocked

Vertically-opening CD drives? Aint this going to kill your drives? It will add more force on the tray motor, and I doubt the trays are made to handle vertically-inserted disks...

well i been running 2 vertically mounted for about 3 months and not lost a single cd....the trays got clips on to hold the cd in place. The motor dont seem to be struggling and these drives are old now. (at least a year, maybe two)

I thought about it for ages but eventually thought that a new cd / dvd drive maybe once a year aint really much money if it does slow down or have problems. You can pick up a dvd rw now for less than £30. And i think it looks original and when its finished it will look ace.

Water Cooled

cool looking case.
    What did you use for the frame (I like the color) and corners.

Vertically-opening CD drives? Aint this going to kill your drives? It will add more force on the tray motor, and I doubt the trays are made to handle vertically-inserted disks...
    Old desktop cases used to be made so they could either lay flat or stand verticaly. Optical drives were designed to work in either position. Both my drives have little sliders on the tray edges to help hold the disc in place if verticaly mounted. There's not extra force applied to the trray.

I used a lubic kit made by aerocool. cheaper than a lot of angle iron. I thought of making the entire thing myself from aluminuim but it would have taken ages and the lubic kit is very adjustable and can be made into any shape. the only limit is your imagination. There is a page with designs on but i cant remember where i found it. i guess google is your best friend.

okies, so the screen is working, and mounted in the case, i have to say it looks good. Just waiting for the plexi to be cut now then it will be finished.

In the mean time here are some links for some updated pics.

Setup (excuse the mess)
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/P1010057.JPG

From the front
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/P1010058.JPG

Front a bit lighter
    http://www.geocities.com/craigstewart_uk/P1010061.JPG

the fan is just tie wrapped on for now it will be mounted to the plexi and i still need to do a little tidying up but your opinions please.