Thread: Modding video game hardware

Fresh Paint

Default Modding video game hardware

Hey all. Been wanting to get into some projects for a while, but aside from the stray tutorial, I've never found much direction for a project.

Anyway, I've had my original DS around seven years, and it's in kinda rough shape. I'd like to give it maybe a new paintjob at least (maybe wait to invest in a new 3DS before I do anything I regret ) And I was looking for some advice on the actual paintwork.

EDIT: This is sort of the idea I had in mind. A matte blue-gray surface, some patterned decals to add contrast, and multicolored buttons.

I could find a tutorial easy enough, but I'm not certain what sort to use. The concern is that since it's something that actually sits in my hand, it'll have to be something that dries pretty well - I've seen some pretty amateur jobs online that look lumpy and sticky. All I need is something with a good matte finish.

There's also some details for which I only want small quantities of a certain color - I'm looking at 4-color buttons based on the Euro/Japanese Super NES, but I'm not sure I can find too many projects for bright red, green, yellow, and blue paint, so I'm looking to buy in small containers.

There's one other project I'm interested in, but probably not one I have the resources for. It's basically a sort of N64/Dreamcast-inspired shell for the Wii classic remotes (this). While it'd probably be easy enough to make a wooden mockup (with the help of some friends and relations), I don't exactly have any tools for forming plastic. This one's more of a pipe dream than anything, but if you got ideas that'd be cool.

Default Re: Modding video game hardware

I would get into contact with SgtM or slaveofconvention on here, both are quite skilled with paint. You can always use the search tool and look up paint tutorials, as there are a few on here that are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER