Thread: GTX 560 vs. GTX 460: Is the upgrade worth it?

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Default GTX 560 vs. GTX 460: Is the upgrade worth it?

Just seeking a little input on a purchase I'm pondering:

My System:
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2017398

I'm currently running a Palit GTX 460 Sonic 1GB video card in the system above. This weekend, TigerDirect is having a sale on a Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition 1GB video card w/free Batman Arkham City coupon. I'm also considering some upgrades before BF3 hits, particularly adding an SSD and (maybe) upgrading my graphics. My question is, am I going to see enough difference between these two cards to justify the (admittedly good) $160 price on the GTX 560?

Link to Deal: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=G452-0567

Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are appreciated.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: GTX 560 vs. GTX 460: Is the upgrade worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

I would take that chart with a serious grain of salt, because that bench has the 560ti beating out the 6970, and the 6990, which would completely destroy the 560 in real world applications...
    Not dead yet

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    I would take that chart with a serious grain of salt, because that bench has the 560ti beating out the 6970, and the 6990, which would completely destroy the 560 in real world applications...
    yea

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ndex,2674.html

Heres the 6990 Vs Vanilla 560 Vs vanilla 460

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...d%5B4830%5D=on

looks like a difference,

20+fps in mafia 2

24+fps in metro 2

48fps vs 34fps in 3dmark 2006

11+ fps in Aliens Vs predator.

and those are just the reference models (vanilla), and not special editions of the 560 either so other cards will obviously do better then what these benchmarks have it posted as.

(6990 smashes the s@#t out of the 560/460 though across the board in everything but thats a 300$+ card)

But now i'm not sure if the price justifies the cost of the card, but if you sold your old 460, i'm sure it would pretty much cover the majority of the cost of the new card.. its what i always do when i replace a graphics card... usually only takes a few hours after a post on craigslist before some one wants it for your asking price. (especially if you take it apart clean it out extremely well [test it] then return it into the original packaging and the box)

lol.... the 6990 is a $600+, the 6950 is an excellent price to performance and if you can afford the little bit extra its defiantly worth it
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    lol.... the 6990 is a $600+,
    oh well there you go haha. I knew it was expensive as s@$t but I didn't know it was like that sort of price. o.0

If it can play metro2033 at the highest settings and pull "59.50fps" that is one beast of a card.

Sure as hell not paying 600$ to get 59fps though.

Shut up and take my money!

Lol, I've got a GTX 580, and while expensive as hell, I love not having to worry about anything when I load up a game and throw all settings to the max

And it's a beast at folding! ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    Lol, I've got a GTX 580, and while expensive as hell, I love not having to worry about anything when I load up a game and throw all settings to the max

And it's a beast at folding! ;D
    my 5770 isnt to bad, i can max out the majority of games.

its pretty sad that now what with the popularity of consoles, games aren't nearly as demanding as they used to be.

used to be you bought a PC game and no video card on the market could play that game at maximum detail.. it'd be 1~2 years later before you saw a card powerful enough to blast the game engine.

Now even midrange four year old 8800GTS cards do just fine on the majority of games as long as your processor is up to the task.

Hell Duke nukem and dead island run just as awesome on my buddies Pentium D and 8800GTX run the game at highest detail with out a issue. Sure i get 121fps vs theres 70fps...

But whats the difference between 90 and 98 when your already getting 90+ frames a second??