Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Processor Help

Default Re: Mobile Processor Help

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post

its actually pretty simple these days, most manufacturers create a .exe to run from within windows, with your bios update. they almost always check file, if that is the case. verify it is the correct brand/version you are updating, if it is phoenix (which with it being hp it probably is) make sure that is the one you download. go to HP's website for the product, and enter all the model specific info on the sticker on your laptop to get the most accurate results. when you run it, it is extremely important you do not lose power, or it shut down for any reason while updating, or you risk unrecoverable issues. its pretty easy, if its an exe run it, and just follow the directions. another nice thing about hp is they are known for overheating- bios updates sometimes help with that is what they told me, and weather i believe that or not, is a totally different subject. lol
    Yep, that's exactly what I did. Found the exact model of my laptop, downloaded the BIOS file from there and it self installed with all the typical warnings and the like. However, it was the same BIOS version as the one that was already on here. I went through with it anyways, just in case, but.. yeah...

How do people even know that a BIOS will support a specific processor or not? I couldn't find anything on that in the description or when I was installing it or anything like that. Sure would make things a lot easier. lol

I just read somewhere that so long as the BIOS is basically up to date with accordance to the manufacturers website, that any hardware changes will be automatically detected and dealt with by the operating system? I was reading a review on Amazon on a similar processor model and they stated that they just popped it right in and the computer restarted once for something to do with the BIOS and then again for the OS, or something like that. I lost the link so I'm not sure. :/

But, that sounds plausible and even a bit familiar? Would that be right at all? Anyone know?

Custom Title Honors

I would give it a shot. I spent over 70bucks on a whim of upgrading my motherboard in a laptop and it proved to be worth it.

Here is a comparison of the 3 chips: Celeron 900, Pentium D and C2D T6400
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/40479,37251,41498

Based off that I wouldn't see why this wouldn't work. The T6400 is listed for $25 (US) new on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Intel-Core-2...ssor-/74039814

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

I decided to buy this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Mob...0565229&sr=1-2

Hopefully I can just pop it in and it'll all go smoothly, else I don't know what to do, since I already checked the HP website for an updated BIOS, which it didn't have. (or I already have it)

I also picked up another 2GB of DDR2 memory, bringing me to 3GB. I couldn't afford another one to bring it to 4GB. T_T Eh, should be enough anyways. I've only seen it get close to maxing out once.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTeaPot View Post
    I decided to buy this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Mob...0565229&sr=1-2

Hopefully I can just pop it in and it'll all go smoothly, else I don't know what to do, since I already checked the HP website for an updated BIOS, which it didn't have. (or I already have it)

I also picked up another 2GB of DDR2 memory, bringing me to 3GB. I couldn't afford another one to bring it to 4GB. T_T Eh, should be enough anyways. I've only seen it get close to maxing out once.
    awesome! looks like it should be good to go!
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Custom Title Honors

Nice. Should bring a nice performance boost. The extra ram should show big gains too because of the video using up to 797MB. You'll have 2GB dedicated to the system.

Spec of T8300 for anyone interested-
    http://ark.intel.com/products/33099/...800-MHz-FSB%29

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

For the love of... sigh.

Okay, the screen won't turn on. At all. In any way. I've taken it apart twice now and reassembled it. I have no idea what's wrong.

There was a thermal pad on the heatsink for the GPU chip which I removed and added a tiny dab of arctic silver.

Aside from that... there's only three cables from the screen. WiFi. A tiny cable and the video cable. All are plugged in. I unplugged and replugged them just to make sure.

I have no idea what the problem could be.........

I replaced the old processor and it changed nothing.

It sounds like everything is working just fine, there's just no video.

Just tried a VGA cable to a monitor. Nothing.

Edit: And new motherboards are $140...

I seriously hate my life sometimes. Nothing ever goes right.

My only guess is that I somehow damaged the GPU... which is just a ridiculous notion. Yet, I see no other possibility.

Can thermal paste damage a chip? I mean, I used a tiny dab. Smaller than a pea. It looks like it still went over the edge of the chip itself, but only by a smidgen. So would that be enough to damage it?
    Last edited by CrazyTeaPot; 03-05-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: .

Well, I can't figure it out. I guess if anyone wants to make me an offer for it, it might be worth parting out or repairing it if you know how. Looks like the motherboards go for $140 on ebay, which I can't afford, so. If I could at least get my money back that would be great, which was $70. Here are the specs.

-15.4"
    -Intel 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Processor
    -3GB DDR2
    -250GB SATA
    -Wireless-N
    -GMA 4500M with 797MB graphics memory.
    -4 Hour Battery Life
    -Windows 7 64-Bit

Edit: Woudn't the screen still have power even if the gpu is dead? Maybe it's the cable that's broken?
    Last edited by CrazyTeaPot; 03-05-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: ?