Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Houston, we have Internet problems....

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Houston, we have Internet problems....

I've got the main "brick". It's the one having problems. It is connected to a Dynex 54G router.
    Then a USB modem. It's the one hitting new speeds. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it doesn't pick up ANY signal from inside my house. At my school (less than 50 yards away), perfect signal.

I have a NetGear 54G router I'd LOVE to turn into a wireless bridge; unfortunately, I've got the 1MB chip, so no DD-WRT.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Interesting for sure. I would just be careful. Depending on which Wifi your piggybacking off of and their monitoring of wireless, you may be noticed. I don't know how the laws are for privately provided wireless, but your router staying connected to a monitored wifi (airport) for more then 24hrs might get noticed. lol

The WRT54G is a good router too (if you have that to use the link on).

I would also be careful with the sites you go to. lol They may have site monitoring too.

In other words, be careful. lol
    oh, yeah... i am. i don't use the airport line, forty miles away. or any other corporate ones.... california is pretty lenient on unsecured wifi access points...
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

PS: I've already checked.

All the WiFi in my 'hood are locked.
    Including mine.

PPS: WiMax =/= WiFi, WiMax == 4G

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

sounds like no good all around. I think your only fix is to move somewhere with better ISP. lol

Maybe you can bribe an ISP to run a line to your neighborhood?

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

We DO have Cable/DSL in our area.

Problem is, our computer/office is upstairs. We do NOT like the idea of drilling more holes into our house, especially with not knowing if/when we're moving.
    (you did not hear that last part from me )

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

lol. Even if you use a lined ISP with a wireless router, your internet will be a lot more stable then a wifi into the house.

Sending a signal up to ~50ft is a lot easier and more stable then >100+ miles. lol

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    lol. Even if you use a lined ISP with a wireless router, your internet will be a lot more stable then a wifi into the house.

Sending a signal up to ~50ft is a lot easier and more stable then >100+ miles. lol
    This. If your house has existing cable wired in, you are golden. I am currently running my main system on wifi, and I have never had much issues with streaming video or playing games. Every once and a while I notice lag issues with BF3, but thats about it. (I bought a wireless N router on black friday too, so that will cut out on that issue a lot I'm hoping)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Funny thing, just did a ping to the IF server, and got 100+ms, did cody wyoming and SLC UT and it was around 56ms. WTF? lol Idaho Falls is only ~12 miles away, and both Cody and Salt Lake are ~180 miles or so away.

EDIT: sorry about the double post, should have just edited my last post lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

The previous owners had DSL.
    No cable, though.

There MIGHT be fiber in our area; I'd have to look.

Tri.fecta

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

PM me an address I'll run it through our avaliability mapper at Centurylink and see what we have in your area. Needs full address to work, including zip.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."