Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Headset

Default Re: Good Headset

deals.woot.com

check for the G35 fairly often and you'll find em at a good price.

Corsair had a pretty good set like a year ago, but I haven't paid attention since.

So this is probably going to sound crazy, but I'll say it anyways. If you have the money for a pair of Astro A40's with the preamp, there is no better headset out there right now (better be for ~$400, right?). I've tried tons of pairs of cans over the years and these are by far the best. Mic is great and adjustable, but what makes it is the preamp/volume control module. Again, I'm very particular about my sound so this certainly isn't for everyone but it's great if you can afford it. It will be the last headset you'll ever buy.

Side note:The MLG circuit uses these as their official headsets for all players.

Looks like you can get a kit with the headphones and mixamp for $250 on the asto website.

If you want something with a headphone jack (for PC use I've moved to USB headphones only) you can try out the GK music Ultraphones. They are by far the best sounding headphones I've heard, but there's no mic included so you would have to do that separately on your own.

Thanks everyone for the help, def. have some options to look at. +rep all around
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

only problem with USB headphones is they often use a personal audio card.

and that audio card doesn't support very many "voices". (voices being the total "sounds" that the audio card can render at any given time) most i've seen is 16 voices on them logitech ones. i'm sure probably one is out there with 24 or something... but its still probably a@#

and my audio card supports 128 voices!!!1.... boy there is a big difference between 16 voices and 128 when your playing battlefield 3. (or really any game with a quality sound engine)

it's quiet on a 16 voice audio card while playing and well... it's certainly what a battlefield should sould sound like at 128 voices on my azuentec... and with a 15W built in headphone pre-amp it'll get as loud as your headphones and ears can handle!

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    only problem with USB headphones is they often use a personal audio card.

and my audio card supports 128 voices!!!1.... boy there is a big difference between 16 voices and 128 when your playing battlefield 3. (or really any game with a quality sound engine)
    I agree that the built in USB sound card is not as good as a dedicated one, but it's super convenient. My current sound card setup means that whenever I plug in headphones I have a to choose in the software the headphones over the speakers. It gets old really fast, especially if I am in game where I can't easily switch back and forth. It's a trade off, but one I find worth it for USB over 1/8 phone jacks.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

^That's why I have a decent microphone, and speakers with a headphone port.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I agree that the built in USB sound card is not as good as a dedicated one, but it's super convenient. My current sound card setup means that whenever I plug in headphones I have a to choose in the software the headphones over the speakers. It gets old really fast, especially if I am in game where I can't easily switch back and forth. It's a trade off, but one I find worth it for USB over 1/8 phone jacks.
    I just turn my speakers off.

: P

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i use these for everything http://www.adelcom.net/SterlingHP.htm sterling te-400's, the best headphones i have ever heard... i bought them off a friend... they are super hard to find, but have the best response for frequency ever.... low lows, high highs, and some of the best clarity you will ever hear. they are connected to my asus xonar d2x pcie x1 card. best sound i have heard, ever. i dropped more than a grand into my car audio, my friend says its the best under 5 grand, possibly best under ten car audio setup he has heard. which is a fair amount, and i want to listen to the headphones in my car. haha.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    i use these for everything http://www.adelcom.net/SterlingHP.htm sterling te-400's, the best headphones i have ever heard... i bought them off a friend... they are super hard to find, but have the best response for frequency ever.... low lows, high highs, and some of the best clarity you will ever hear. they are connected to my asus xonar d2x pcie x1 card. best sound i have heard, ever. i dropped more than a grand into my car audio, my friend says its the best under 5 grand, possibly best under ten car audio setup he has heard. which is a fair amount, and i want to listen to the headphones in my car. haha.

18 Hz to 20 KHz Frequency Response
    I'd believe it with a 18khz low end range! most headphones loose it around 45~50hz or higher.

I gave up on car stereos a long time ago, i mean its not worth it if some jack ass is going to steal it in the middle of the night.

you know at least in my state i can legally pop a gauge in you for stealing from my house. (its extended out to your automobile and outside dwellings or structures and small businesses as of nov 3rd 2011) but you couldn't for stealing from your car.

So now its 2 15's on two JWD Davis 750W P/A amplifiers with another 10" on a onkyo reciever and one of them logitech 7" self powered woofers.

It's enough to send EMI waves through my old CRT monitor when the bass hits just perfect! i'm surprised i don't bass format my hard drives sometimes from all the electromagnetic waves from the thunderstorm under my tables.

I really want one of them 22" Cerwin vega's but 830$ is a lot to ask these days. ooh but one day i'll be rolling dual 22" subwoofers and those tank rounds will really explode and knock soda cans and junk off the table from the bass.