Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte's new 3D Bios?

Default Gigabyte's new 3D Bios?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Gigabyte's new 3D Bios?

interesting, but i don't think it's really necessary.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

hah are we going to start getting BSOD's in the bios menu now?

Fresh Paint

BIOS settings are meant to change a few parameters quickly - to those who know what they are doing.
    This rubbish won't help those who don't know what they're doing - only annoy the other camp.
    I sure hope the old stuff remains functional and we have to worry about DLCs coming out soon!

with luck the UEFI will become less "shiny" and more useful. I hate to say it, but look to apple. The ipod classic menu. split the screen, have the options on the left, and a picture of the "area" like they are trying to do now, then have actual, useful descriptions on the right. instead of the current bios where its a giant enigma as to what the setting does half the time.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    giant enigma as to what the setting does half the time.
    SSSHHH!! Those secrets keep 3/4 of these forum users employed.

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

I read somewhere that mobo makers are saying the cmos system is outdated, and most will be (or should be?) switching to newer, faster, and easier to use systems like this UEFI. The specific article I read (I can't find it now, of course) said that everything else has been updated, why not the BIOS system?
    The UEFI can go much further in depth, be more specific as to identifying problems, and a few other things, w/e.
    As with any major change, some people will balk at it, but I think this is the way it's going, and eventually people will get used to it, and the ol CMOS bios we use today will be looked upon as foreign and ancient as, MS-DOS
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Hardware View Post
    I read somewhere that mobo makers are saying the cmos system is outdated, and most will be (or should be?) switching to newer, faster, and easier to use systems like this UEFI. The specific article I read (I can't find it now, of course) said that everything else has been updated, why not the BIOS system?
    The UEFI can go much further in depth, be more specific as to identifying problems, and a few other things, w/e.
    As with any major change, some people will balk at it, but I think this is the way it's going, and eventually people will get used to it, and the ol CMOS bios we use today will be looked upon as foreign and ancient as, MS-DOS
    Hell isn't there a physical limit as to what the Bios can support as far as hard drive density goes?

like 3.5 tera byte or something like that?

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

That was something else I read, but I'm not familiar enough with it to talk about it without sounding like I'm just talking out of my ass.
    Something like, CMOS supports 2.2 TB, while UEFI supports 9.4ZB cause it uses GUID instead of MBR.
    Sound like I'm quoting? That's because I am. This actually isn't the particular article I read a while back, but it still is a good read.

http://www.howtogeek.com/56958/htg-e...lace-the-bios/
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Firmware support to address the latest capacities and bandwidths on SATA or USB or PCIe or whatever can always be reflashed and updated regardless of whether it's an ugly text BIOS or fancy 3D UEFI. The actual BIOS - that is, the actual functionality which interfaces with and governs hardware function - will still occupy much the same dataspace as it already does, since such stuff depends on the capacities of the mobo-mounted hardware which tends to only change in gradual increments.

I don't see a graphic interface with 3D artwork being an improvement since it will only invite more people to poke around, people who really shouldn't be there ... or it will factory-preset generic "smart" settings where advanced users would want fine control. Plus it'll introduce more complexity and failure points into a part of the system which is too critical to fail ... GUIs are notorious memory hogs and the ugly truth is that errors involving 3D graphics hardware are sometimes quite tenacious. I'd hate to try fixing up a broke system when the fancy 3D interface to access the firmware configuration won't work because some cheap dumbass thought his cursor clicks could add 1.6GHz or 16GB or whatever to his computer.

UEFI application standards seem to be evolving which specify the firmware area can address many GB stored on dedicated SSD components, as opposed to ye olde BIOS SETUP program which is usually stuffed into a ~4Mb corner on somebody's "SuperIO" mobo microcontroller. This "storage memory" basically exists to service the hardware platform itself, it is not directly useful for actual computing. My expectation is that, as always, it won't take very long for a massive increase in available memory to be followed by a massive increase in bloat. I'd have to ask why 20GB or 80GB is needed to run a program which does the same thing as one which fills less than 4GB, or why all sorts of wondrously advanced yet inexplicable and useless Intel and Microsoft code components and libraries are suddenly required. Maybe that's just me, I really hate bad code. And corporate code is the worst.

UEFI specs are calling for standardized interfaces to the OS, so you should be able to get "real time" reporting between the two. It'll also dedicate part of the storage space towards holding the actual driver code needed for each piece of hardware. This is one feature I really like a lot, although it's hardly necessary to establish an entirely new paradigm for something which could be readily adapted to existing BIOS firmware ... still, it'll be cool and nice to have. Assuming it will work on linux and other OSes which aren't the latest/greatest version of Windows. And assuming we're just talking about the core driver code, not whatever full-blown Catalyst or GeForce or whatever application suites are bundled in, let alone whatever "value added" junkware gets bundled in as well.

They're also working out autoupdate features, so the firmware will just continuously take care of itself just like Windows updates and such stuff. Dunno if I like this; in my mind you don't reflash firmware unless it's not working or the new version corrects a bug or enables meaningful new capabilities ... constantly reflashing that chip over and over is just asking for trouble. I also don't like the idea of an evil corporation (let alone a whole pack of them) being able to arbitrarily reconfigure my BIOS and drivers on a whim. Let alone the inevitable new security problems which code hackers are likely to exploit. My first UEFI mobo is going to have a physical jumper on the chipware write-enable pin, even if I have to solder it in myself. I might even go so far as to piggyback another "backup" chip which I keep codelocked.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.